Leaking coolant...kind of strange...

BLupo22

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've developed a pretty steady drip of coolant from the passenger side of my engine...seems like it might be <gasp> coming from the head. But there is no white smoke or any other symptoms of a blown head gasket. I did run water in this truck during my move from Florida to Jacksonville, NC and the first night here, the water froze. The expansion caused one of the bigger rubber hoses to come off. I was kind of hoping the same situation had happened on that side of the motor but I can't seem to find a bad hose nor can I see well enough to tell if its from the head.

Any ideas? has anyone ever had experience with the hoses expanding in the cold? and is it common for the head to leak coolant without blowing any type of smoke?? The way this looks, it seems to me theres a cracked line or something but damn i can't find it. I'm gonna take apart some things this weekend but just wanted to get a leg up by getting ya'lls input first.

Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Broken/cracked water lines don't happen too often. RUN GOLD COOLANT and never plain water. Water will cause corrosion and other not-so-pleasant conditions. If you don't find a cracked or broken hose, get someone (mechanic) to "sniff" the coolant for combustion gasses, using their sniffer. Good luck

Dave

BLupo22

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Broken/cracked water lines don't happen too often. RUN GOLD COOLANT and never plain water. Water will cause corrosion and other not-so-pleasant conditions. If you don't find a cracked or broken hose, get someone (mechanic) to "sniff" the coolant for combustion gasses, using their sniffer. Good luck

Dave

I know not to use water but I had to a couple times because I blew my oil cooler and got it fixed two weeks ago and i've been flushing the cooling system every couple days. If I used coolant the whole time, it'd kill my wallet lol.

The way its leaking doesn't seem like a gasket. Its a steady drip and there is no sign whatsoever of any coolant getting into the cylinder and the truck hasn't lost an ounce of power. And like I said, I already discovered one hose that came completely off the nipple, so I don't doubt another one could have too, or maybe even broke on the 19 hour drive I made to get to my base at Camp Lejeune. At least me and my bank account are praying its a hose lol

Any estimates on a head gasket repair?

DR.Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id bet its either the hose that connects the egr cooler to oil cooler or the shut off valve to the heater hose.

powerstroke7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out about your truck mine is dooing the exact same thing and I mean "THE EXACT SAME THING" I am curious on what mine is also my heater is not as hot right now so I dont know what it is. I convinced myself that is was the head gasket because I couldnt find anything else on what it would be, but if you find something out it would sure give me some hope lol

Last edited:

BLupo22

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Let me know what you find out about your truck mine is dooing the exact same thing and I mean "THE EXACT SAME THING" I am curious on what mine is also my heater is not as hot right now so I dont know what it is. I convinced myself that is was the head gasket because I couldnt find anything else on what it would be, but if you find something out it would sure give me some hope lol

im almost positive its the line on the oil cooler. the guy that fixed my oil cooler probably forgot to tighten down something and it blew off a line. Who knows. I dont have any tools up here at Camp Lejeune so I'm gonna have to take it to a damn mechanic and its gonna cost me a fortune. FML.

Head gaskets from my experience make the truck hotter when running in traffic and cooler when running high way speeds with open air. My truck hates high speed temps and loves idling right now. Its weird. And the water is pouring out fast enough that if it were a head gasket, the piston would probably be coming out the side as well!!

powerstroke7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im almost positive its the line on the oil cooler. the guy that fixed my oil cooler probably forgot to tighten down something and it blew off a line. Who knows. I dont have any tools up here at Camp Lejeune so I'm gonna have to take it to a damn mechanic and its gonna cost me a fortune. FML.

Head gaskets from my experience make the truck hotter when running in traffic and cooler when running high way speeds with open air. My truck hates high speed temps and loves idling right now. Its weird. And the water is pouring out fast enough that if it were a head gasket, the piston would probably be coming out the side as well!!

Mine is dripping I can watch it just drip and my truck runs perfectly fine it does not over heat. It only overheated one time and that was because the coolant was completely out a few weeks ago. IDK I guess I will keep troubleshooting.

BLupo22

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Mine is dripping I can watch it just drip and my truck runs perfectly fine it does not over heat. It only overheated one time and that was because the coolant was completely out a few weeks ago. IDK I guess I will keep troubleshooting.

Ya mine doesn't overheat unless i'm out but it continually drips so I run out at least every other day. And its only really bad leaking when its running. Other than that, its a slow drip (I guess since the water pump isn't working)

anyways, any idea how much the labor cost would be to resecure the oil pump hose??

powerstroke7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do not know how much that would cost it has to be cheaper than replacing head gaskets. They told me that to replace my head gaskets it would cost me $5500.00 but they are trying to work a deal with me so I will see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58