Leaking Fuel line

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My buddy has a 99 and he started running B100 a few weeks ago and developed a leak (me as well but different story later).

His fuel IN line from the passanger side of the fuel filter runs down just over the V in the block and then to the front of the Drivers side Bank inbetween the alternator bracket and the valve cover. As it runs down it hits a large bolt for the filter drain I think and it wore a hole in the line and cracked it. The previous owner had sliced a piece of crappy rubber and put it on and then used a hose clamp. That fixed the problem until the Biodiesel ate through it. We had the stupid idea of cutting the line and putting a piece of new line on there the correct way. Well lets just say it didn't work.

Now time to vent. Stupid engineering. The way those fuel lines seal is crazy. They have to use the tension in the prebent line to pull out and keep a seal on the flare VS any other Double flared line like on the tranny that you just tighten the fitting and Viola you are good to go.

So basically after screwing around with it the best we could do is to keep it spraying a steady stream in our faces. to the tune of about a 1/2 cup of fuel every ten seconds.

Am I missing something here? He is going to order the prebent line from ford (I don't know the correct name) and see if we can get it to work.

I just stared in disblief at such a horrible design. I thought I was retarded and maybe I am but why do it that way instead of the way it has been done for the last 100 years that works?

Thanks and maybe you can help us out as it is sitting in my front yard until we fix it. Good thing he bought a new truck last night as extra transportation.

Jason

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford sells a fuel bowl seal kit ( i bought one this morning (don't ask, long story)) that has the rubber sleeves that seal the single flare/compression nut. It has 4 feed line sleeves, from the tank feed sleeve and a return sleeve. Once the leak on the line is fixed, which I do suggest a new line from Ford, ya'll can seal up the compression fittings with new rubber. I say all this given my understanding of what you're up against.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes excellent sense.

Yes we will be getting the correct replacement line. When we took it off there was not any rubber sleepves though. Is this an afterthough when they realized what they had barely worked?

bartman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how it could seal without them. could be the bio ate them up and what little was left fell into the abyss upon removal. it would be nice if they were viton, but they are standard soft rubber. mine was pretty degraded and I don't run bio.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet Diggity Dog!! That is nice, just what we need...I guess. Those were definetly not on there when we took it off.

How do they work or where exactly do they go? Maybe I will have to go take a pic and draw some pictures. I'm guessing they go just inside the fitting agains the back so as you tighten it creates a seal on the flare and the fitting?

Thanks guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58