Leaking LP

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
My trailer leaks at the connection to the bottles, I just put on new connection hoses. It did not leak when I was checking it out. Is there something else I can do before replacing the bottles? I will put a newer bottle on off the BBQ to make sure its the bottles. Is there a trick to get them to seal?

Teggleston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likley is not the bottles, did you make sure your connection was good and tight? I have had problems with mine leaking when I first connect them and then it quits. I guess the question would be were is it leaking exactly?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
slop some soapy water on the connections and tell us where it bubbles...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It may be the bottle.

About 3 weeks ago, I had a customer with the same problem. We replaced both hoses, and still had a leak at the bottle/hose connection. We disconnected the hose and found the bottle connector had some loose brass metal shavings in there. He went to a bottle exchange place to get a new bottle. I guess he got fixed, I didn't see him after that.

One messed up thing about his setup. Instead of hooking the two LP bottles up to a switchable regulator, this guy had a "Tee" fitting with both LP hoses going to a single inlet regulator. Since one hose had a leak, all of his LP from both bottles got pissed out the one leak. I told him to change it, but he didn't seem to be in any hurry to follow my advice.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I was just talking to the local LP dealer last Thursday about this exact problem. The QCC1 connectors I had were el-cheapo and were causing a leak on my older tanks but they would seal on brand new ones. I changed out my QCC1 connectors to some high quality ones from Marshall Brass and fixed my problem but he told me that the seals in the tank connections do go bad and they are not replaceable. You can get the valve replaced or for about $5 more you can replace the whole tank and valve.

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had a similiar prb. ended up being the regulator kept leaking. i replaced the hose. changed bottles. in the end i changed regulators and prob solved. just a suggestion.

Boadie

Guzzler of the Coors
Reaction score
I love this site, I am going up there in a couple hours and Ill put all these suggestions in the mix and Ill replace that regulater that leaks where you see red/green flow meter. My computer caught a bug since 1500 hrs yesterday and I was really sweatin not gettin all your advice. :hail

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I had the same proplem a week ago and had to replace both tanks because of the seal in the valve leaking. I replaced both hoses first but that didn't work. Tanks were 5 years old.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
When I worked for an LP company last year, we would have this problem ALOT, more often than not, it could be solved by making sure there were no burs on the brass fittings, and GENTLY filing to remove any burs making sure to not let brass shavings get in the valve, and the putting on new O-rings, we'd charge $7.50 per bottle for this, but you could do it yourself for less than a $1

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have taken the rubber o-ring out of a garden hose and put them in there and stopped the leak. It works in a have to deal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58