Question Leaking oil cooler o-rings

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
If my oil cooler o-rings are leaking where will I see it? What will it damage? I was told to change them since I'm well over 300K even though I don't think they're leaking. Is this wise preventative maintenance or fixing something that ain't broke? :dunno BTW, I don't even know where it's located. :D

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil cooler is the large tubular looking thing on the driver's side of the engine running forward from the oil filter. It is a tube/shell type cooler and is cooled by the engine coolant. The are two o-rings on each end of the "tube". They keep the oil from leaking out and also from leaking into the coolant. You would notice oil leaking from either header adapter where the tube goes in (one header at the front and the oil filter header that the filter screws on to) or oil in your coolant. For me, I'm in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp. Cheers!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just keep an eye on the antifreeze and if you start seeing oil then you've likely found a leaking oil-antifreeze o-ring and you'll smell the antifreeze leak before you'll ever see the drops on the concrete.

Mine has been leaking antifreeze for a while now one of these days I'll fix it but I'm not too sure when.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg