Help Needed leaking pinion seal

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello again, i had a leaking pinion seal on my 06 f350 so i took the driveline off and pulled the bolt up hub out and put a new seal in, the thing i am not sure about is when i pulled the hub the pinion gear became very loose, and when i put the nut back on i feel like i am not doing something correctly, i have heard maybe you have to crush something??? I used an impact to put the nut back on the pinion as it goes on very hard and doing it by hand does not seem feasable. Can anyone tell me about this procedure, maybe i should take it to a shop and have them do the repair??

Thanks in advance for any advice, i tried searching the forum for something already posted but i kept getting nothing back so maybe i am not searching correctly.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the Crush sleeve your talking about. (for pinion bearing preload). If you have been turning the nut by hand, after you replaced the seal. Maybe ok, If you have had a impact on it, your going to crush the sleeve more. If that happend it won't go more then a 100 miles before the pinion bearings are damaged.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i guess i have to take it to a driveline shop now because i used an impact to put it back, do you think it is expensive to fix???

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear ends are set up dry. (no oil) When you crush the sleeve.(tighten the pinion nut) You want like 25 inch pound rotation. Everyone replaces pinion seals, I always counted threads, marked the nut, and yoke. Then I would give it a little more. No problems.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No i have not driven it yet i was concerned it wasnt right and did not want to ruin the ring and pinion???

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No i have not driven it yet i was concerned it wasnt right and did not want to ruin the ring and pinion???

Your okay, you need another pinion seal, and crush sleeve. Maybe $30.00.
The rear end to be safe, has to be set back up. That means, Axles out, diff, dropped, pinion out, and then it can be set with the old bearings no problem.
I would guess a shop would charge $600.00. In Phx, A/Z you can get tools loaned for free (special tools) Can you there ? And we can fix it cheap.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well possibly but it is 114 degrees outside and i have to work so i do not have time to fix it and possibley i might be avoiding the heat, either way if i was to take it to a shop 3 miles from my house do you think i could drive it that far without damaging anything so they could do it for me????? and thanks for all the positive information i really was bummed and still am a little bit but it makes me feel better to know that with your help i could do it if need bed.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well possibly but it is 114 degrees outside and i have to work so i do not have time to fix it and possibley i might be avoiding the heat, either way if i was to take it to a shop 3 miles from my house do you think i could drive it that far without damaging anything so they could do it for me????? and thanks for all the positive information i really was bummed and still am a little bit but it makes me feel better to know that with your help i could do it if need bed.

You'll be okay going down the street. Just tell them what you did, They will set it back up.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you sooooo much i really appreciate your help god bless you and yours.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg