Leaking Power steering fluid, where to start?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. My truck has been leaking power steering fluid for awhile now and I think I should finally take care of it. From looking all around all I can see is the steering gear box is covered with grime. I sprayed it off but I still can not really see where it is from. Am I looking at a new box, hose fittings or something else? I guess I am asking is there a common place here to look or not?

I learned this weekend about not turning the wheel without the truck running. I have hear of this before so I raised the front thinking/hoping that would prevent the "burp". It didn't.

Which bring me to a thought. The leak started after I move to my new house. At the old place we just drove and parked on the street. Here I come in and back into the driveway. While the truck is stopped and on the street, both the wife and I start to turn the wheel them start to back up. Could this just be run off?

Sorry this is long, had the last thought while writing.

Thanks for the help.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
dboyw said:
Hello. My truck has been leaking power steering fluid for awhile now and I think I should finally take care of it. From looking all around all I can see is the steering gear box is covered with grime. I sprayed it off but I still can not really see where it is from. Am I looking at a new box, hose fittings or something else? I guess I am asking is there a common place here to look or not?

I learned this weekend about not turning the wheel without the truck running. I have hear of this before so I raised the front thinking/hoping that would prevent the "burp". It didn't.

Which bring me to a thought. The leak started after I move to my new house. At the old place we just drove and parked on the street. Here I come in and back into the driveway. While the truck is stopped and on the street, both the wife and I start to turn the wheel them start to back up. Could this just be run off?

Thanks for the help.

There are some recalls on the pumps on some years. If yours is not recalled then I would try this LUCAS before I spent too much money. Budro

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
I would guess that you have a hose leaking, try to clean it up best you can then crank it up and with a GOOD flashlight have the wife turn the wheel while you look, also make sure the rubber seal on the cap is in good shape and clean.

Let us know what you find

TheHammer69

PowerStroker
Reaction score
dboyw said:

Thanks for the help.

look at your pump from under the truck. You may find that the leakage is at your shaft seal.

Hammer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim