Leaking Torqshift

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 2005 F250 CC 4x4. 51,000 miles. My transmission was leaking, and I couldn't pinpoint it. I was in for some recalls and reflashing, so I had them have a look at it. Service manager called and said it was the pan gasket, so they were going to replace it, change internal filter, and flush it. Pick it up yesterday, drive home, and park it on the concrete. Get back in later and backup, and see some more of the awfully familiar red fluid laying there. Took it back to them again, and they call back later saying the case has a crack. They are dumbfounded, there's not a bracket or anything anywhere close by, there's no stress on the housing at all there.

Hmmm, now I have some options.

1. Remaned Torqshift. $3000 - $150 rebate. 75,000 mile warranty.

2. Torqshift housing. +/- $1200. 12,000 mile warranty.

3. Aftermarket. Which ones do I look at?

4. Repair the crack. Hmm, would have to gut the tranny anyways, with questionable results, and no real way of pressure testing.

5. Used housing/transmission.

What do yall think? What do you think could cause this crack? The service guys though it was impossible to do that by off roading, high centering, running into anything, etc. How do you think this cracked housing will affect any core charges?

Are there any TSB's? Haha, that would be nice. It's kinda crap how the newer trucks have a longer warranty on the same pieces of equipment.

Thanks.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard would it be to remove and replace a tranny myself? I have a new Rotary lift in the farm shop, I just need to set it up yet though. How much work would this involve? Specialty tools?

I am in kind of a unique situation right now, as I can still drive the truck while I make up my mind, only costing me some extra fluid.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the case cracked? Do you not have any factory warranty left? Only 51,000 miles? I thought the powertrain warranty (motor, transmission, rear end) was 5 years/60,000miles.

Last edited:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, it seems recall #05B27 covers this. Only problem is that it expired 9/30/2006. Why would this not have come up on Oasis?

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but sounds like passenger side rear of the tranny, a bit above the oil pan.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case I would get after the dealer to fix it. If there is a recall on it or related to it there should definitely be a TSB Repair bulletin.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On 2005's, theres a 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty, and 100,000 mile warranty on the powerstroke engine only. Then there's the corrosion, emissions and safety system warranties and stuff like that. I think on the 05's there's also a $100 deductable once you are out of 36k. I think it's a common misconception that the whole powertrain is 100k.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are correct Bolt. It is the engine and smog equipment that is covered for 100K miles. The tranny is not covered.

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if its truly cracked and no brackets or any stress points near by...I would be burning up the telly lines to dearborn and get an engineer review..it cost you nothing and often they will waive certain timelines.....the key is documentation of service and preventive maintenance
dont let em send out a just the regional rep..insist on a KTP rep or one higher on the food chain ...

dont give up to quick if you have your ducks aligned, however if its been OFF roaded and lifted they will deny your claim post haste, so wash the under sides real good

and be cordial on the phone, catch lots more flies with sugar;)

got pics ???

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A picture would help... There was a TSB about a ring coming loose under service for snow plowing (don't ask why this app only). I'm wondering if that didn't come loose, and smack the case on the inside. It could also be casting porosity, where a little material came loose, and now it's leaking. Does it still shift okay?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14