leaking tranny from vent line???

violatedppl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well my folks went camping this weekend, f350 4dr long be PS 4x4. Well while towing they were being followed so they pull over to let the truck by and the driver stops and tells my dad he leaking fluid, sure enough he looks down and sees a nice little puddle of tranny fluid. This is not the first time while towing our 27ft TT that this has happend. While talking to a guy at the camp ground he says his buddies does the same thing. Was wondering if their is a fix for this? And since most of the miles on this truck are from towing our 27ft trailer would putting a larger tranny cooler help, I know my dad needs to add a gauge to see whats going on. I told him about a larger pan but he doesnt want to, not enough protection since this truck does see some "off roading" mainly getting fire would, but nothing would suck more then a hole in the tranny pan so... And advice. Oh and this is the 2nd tranny for this truck, first one went bad after 5k. but was replaced with a brand new not rebuilt transmission. Thanks

Sleeper Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you pull any codes from the pcm. should get a transmission temperature gauge. there is a test port on the transmission were you can install the probe it is pretty easy to install and you wont loose any atf but maybe a drop. im on my second tranny, mine went up at 185,000. usually on the PSD the truck will outlast the tranny.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
If it is coming out the vent it is either getting hot or its overfilled. Get a gauge and an upgraded oil cooler on that thing before you have to buy a new tranny............if its not already to late. :confused:

Tbar

violatedppl

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hte oil levels were fine, a little lower than he likes but still on the stick. And where is the port on the tranny. Im trying to talk him into a tranny tem guage and an exhaust since the truck is mainly used for towing. And it only happens after towing on back country mountain roads. On the high way its fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya