Leveling kit vs. X-spring?

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the bumper I'm looking to put on the frontend of my 2002 F-350 PSD weighs a considerable amount (~250 lbs) more than the stock unit, I figure that installing either X-springs or a leveling kit would be a smart idea. I've never been completely happy with how soft the frontend seems to be sprung so maybe a firmer setup in the front would be a side benefit. So with that said, now I finally get to my questions:

1) If you had to pick between X-springs and an aftermarket frontend leveling kit, which would you choose? I don't want to lift my truck, just level it out so that when I add the weight of a frontend replacement the factory "rake" is preserved.

2) Is installing X-springs/a leveling kit a do-it-yourself job or should I just pay to have it done? I've got access to a rather well-stocked automotive hobby shop on base so tools/time wouldn't be a problem but my limited skill could be trouble.

3) With the frontend leveled out (regardless of method) do I need to replace the shocks as well? I've got Rancho 9000's on all four corners but they've got ~50K on 'em and they're noticeably worn so if I needed to get new ones, now would be the time. Also, do I need to install lengthened brake lines or are the stock ones sufficient? I don't mind doing extra work if it means the job will be done right and not half-assed.

4) Should I go with an aftermarket leveling kit, which brands should I look at? From the little I remember from TDS, Edge/Donahoe Racing stuff seems to be pretty well-made and Rancho/Fabtech are good stuff too.

Last edited:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to the big offroad/performance shop in town and the owner is real big on BDS kits. He quoted me a price of $900 installed for the BDS leveling kit. That price included: shackles/hangers (I forget precisely what they're called), new pitman arm, new BDS shocks for all four corners, frontend alignment and 5 hrs labor for the install. Since they're pretty much the only game in town, is that a fair price or are they too spendy (like most stuff in this town is)?

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Since the bumper I'm looking to put on the front end of my 2002 F-350 PSD weighs a considerable amount (~250 lbs) more than the stock unit, I figure that installing either X-springs or a leveling kit would be a smart idea. I've never been completely happy with how soft the front end seems to be sprung so maybe a firmer setup in the front would be a side benefit. So with that said, now I finally get to my questions:

1) If you had to pick between X-springs and an aftermarket front end leveling kit, which would you choose? I don't want to lift my truck, just level it out so that when I add the weight of a front end replacement the factory "rake" is preserved.

2) Is installing X-springs/a leveling kit a do-it-yourself job or should I just pay to have it done? I've got access to a rather well-stocked automotive hobby shop on base so tools/time wouldn't be a problem but my limited skill could be trouble.

3) With the front end leveled out (regardless of method) do I need to replace the shocks as well? I've got Rancho 9000's on all four corners but they've got ~50K on 'em and they're noticeably worn so if I needed to get new ones, now would be the time. Also, do I need to install lengthened brake lines or are the stock ones sufficient? I don't mind doing extra work if it means the job will be done right and not half-assed.

4) Should I go with an aftermarket leveling kit, which brands should I look at? From the little I remember from TDS, Edge/Donahoe Racing stuff seems to be pretty well-made and Rancho/Fabtech are good stuff too.

jvencius said:
I just talked to the big offroad/performance shop in town and the owner is real big on BDS kits. He quoted me a price of $900 installed for the BDS leveling kit. That price included: shackles/hangers (I forget precisely what they're called), new pitman arm, new BDS shocks for all four corners, front end alignment and 5 hrs labor for the install. Since they're pretty much the only game in town, is that a fair price or are they too spendy (like most stuff in this town is)?

jvencius,

You don't say exactly how much you want to raise the front of the truck. Do you just want 1" or 2" to compensate for the weight of the bumper or more? I have a semi-hidden Warn winch on the front of my F350 that weighs about 300# and it really didn't make that much of a different on the truck but when I installed the 8' Boss V-Plow that weighs 800# that made a hugh difference! I installed add-a-leaf springs that made a bone jarring difference but only raised the truck 2" and made the ride terrible! Then I installed the Edge/Donahoe Racing 3" hanger lift and what a wonderful difference. It just about leveled the truck. (See TRUCK PHOTOS below) You will require longer front shocks but not the pitman arm.
The X-springs should raise your truck about 1.25" to 1.50" depending on body style. You do not need to change the shocks or anything else. If you're just looking to firm up the front end I would install the X-springs as they are much cheaper then a lift kit. If I were to install my lift over again, I would install the X-springs at the same time because it's not much more work to do so. In other words, if you choose to do the lift, do the X-springs at the same time while you have the entire front end apart. But then you'll probably have to lift the rear end to match the front, which means you will need shocks all around and also the pitman arm because you'll be lifting the truck a total of at least 4.25", (3'' lift and 1.25" springs) The reason I would install the X-springs along with the lift is after 3 years of carrying the plow around all winter my V-springs are sagging a little! Even with the 3" lift my oversize tires have just recently started to rub on the plastic liner in the wheel well at full turn. The X-spring is rated at 6000# as compared to the V-spring@5200# and is installed on all trucks with the snowplow package.

I don't have a clue what a BDS leveling kit costs but that price you were quoted does not sound bad at all to me. The labor for 5 hours must be at least $400. If the rate was $80/hr.? The parts are $500 easy. I'd say that was a deal depending on the quality of the material. If you could get the Edge Lift and Bilstien Shocks for that price, I'd jump all over it! But that's just my opinion.

Y2KPSD

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At this point, I'm leaning towards the X-springs since all I really want is enough lift to compensate for the weight of the bumper. I like the way the truck sits with the front a bit lower than the rear so I figure the X-springs will allow me to use the shocks I've got (I'll save a few bucks there) and I won't need extended brake lines or a new pitman arm (more savings). The 2.5" to 3" of lift I'd get from a leveling kit is more than I really want even with the weight of a heavy bumper on the front.

Now, is installing X-springs a do-it-yourself job or should I just farm it out and write a check to the dealership? Tools and time aren't a problem, but my limited skill might be... :p

y2kpsd

Member #11
Reaction score
jvencius said:
At this point, I'm leaning toward the X-springs since all I really want is enough lift to compensate for the weight of the bumper.
Now, is installing X-springs a do-it-yourself job or should I just farm it out and write a check to the dealership? Tools and time aren't a problem, but my limited skill might be... :p

I installed my 3" lift with the help of a mechanic or should I say I helped him. It can be kind if intimidating because you literally lay the entire front suspension on the ground, axle and all. I thought it was a lot of work but I had never done anything like that before. There will be guys who are going to tell you it's no big deal and it might not be for them. But for someone with "limited skills" it could prove to be too much. I do most of my own work on my truck including installing my Warn winch, my air horns & compressor, wicked wheel, ATS housing and the Brown Bread, which required removing almost the entire interior of the truck, shocks, exhaust, gauges, but I don't think I would have attempted doing this job without the help of someone "experienced" at this kind of work. But again this is just my opinion.

If you choose to do this installation yourself, make sure you have plenty of help you can depend on. When you put everything back together make sure you torque everything to factory specs. Good luck.

Car_nut57

Reaction score
I had debated about this myself for some time. Many recommended the X-Spring fix, but I wanted to keep some adjustability so I opted for Firestone air bags in the front. The Air bags give the adjusability I was looking and did firm the front end and reduce the pitching. The air bags are also very easy to install with the truck sitting on the ground. You do have to drill a couple of holes, but they bascially just bolt on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58