lift install

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
I am trying to prepare for my lift installation. I have never added a lift and most of what i have learned is from reading the forms on this site. i have a 5" RSK lift for the front and 4.5" flip kit for the rear. i have purchased shocks and pitman arm. i am having trouble finding brake extenders, not sure if i can get by with just relocating the brackets or not. also cannot find sway bar extensions or 4" tapered blocks to replace factory.

I'd also like to put a 2-3" body lift on it but have heard a lot about it not being safe.. how complicated is the install?

am i going to need to extend my drive lines?

Will my insurance cover a "modified" vehicle?

im just trying to decide if the lift is going to be worth it and if i can install it.

any input is awesome!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the brake lines you really can't just drop the bracket because it's a hard line on the other side. look in JC whitney or summit catalogs for brake lines you'll likely need to order some braided stainless lines.

swaybar extensions I can't say that I've ever looked but whenever I wanted to extend some I just chopped them and went and picked up some pipe to use as an extension. Any competent welding shop should be able to do this for you for under $50.

you should not have a problem with the driveline length though you may need to shim your carrier bearing down a bit to make the driveshaft angles a bit more kosher. you should only need about 1/4" you can stack washers or get a spacer in from the odd parts drawer at the hardware store.

As far as your insurance covering a modified vehicle that varies from policy to policy and agency to agency, not to mention state to state. You may need a rider on your policy, you'll at a minimum need to maintain the receipts from the work and parts purchase. your labor is worth nothing to the ins co, some assign value to paid labor.

Body lifts can be dangerous I've seen cabs sheer off the bolts when the frame hits a solid obstruction that doesn't keep the body in place. How high are you looking to get your truck? I would suggest looking at simply getting a larger suspension lift than doing a body lift. I also think the gaps created by body lifts are look horrid.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
alright, sounds great! thanks for all the input. i'm sure i'll have more questions later but this is exactly what i was looking for.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the Superlift HD braided brakelines before and they seem to be better quailty than Skyjacker and some of they others. Both make them in various lengths to fit the Superduty model trucks.

In my eyes...Body Lift = cheap way out, Instead of a buying a proper suspension lift.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg