lifts and towing

mercilessmerc

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey ya'll, i am looking to get a truck after my next deployment, i want an 08 f350 sd. what is the most i can lift it including going up tire wise and still be able to safely utilize a standard goosekneck trailer?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not go over 35" tire witch most truck can do with little to no lift. Also with 35" you will need to regear. If you get a truck with 3.73 gears and you go with 35" tires you'll have to go with 4.11 gears to get you back to stock. This will save your trans. and the truck will pull better. Just my 2cents and what I'm having to do to tow my 5ther better.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not go over 35" tire witch most truck can do with little to no lift. Also with 35" you will need to regear. If you get a truck with 3.73 gears and you go with 35" tires you'll have to go with 4.11 gears to get you back to stock. This will save your trans. and the truck will pull better. Just my 2cents and what I'm having to do to tow my 5ther better.

x2;tu

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score

HMMM! I was not aware of the need to change your gears to 4.11 with 35 inch tires. I have a rebuilt tranny and new TC and run my factory 3.73 right now. With the tranny and TC upgrades is this still a problem?

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 95 F350 with 35inch tires pulling a toyhauler. I do lots of camping in woods and dunes. I had 11 inches between the top of the bed rail and the camper and it would rest on the bed all the time. I got rid of the goosekneck and put a 5th wheel hitch in that will only let it move 7 degress no more problems. Thanks for my freedom take care Mark

Last edited:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the guy is saying on youtube makes a lot of since, but I wonder if that applies to street queens(i.e. trucks that dont pull trailers or go mudding). I noticed that truck had a snorkel on it, so Im sure the owner does some serious off-roading which can be hectic on any tranny.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I think it applies to all trucks across the board. If you dont get your gearing back to stock, you'll be putting a lot more strain on the tranny. Will it KILL it? Maybe...if you run the hell out of it. Will it shorten the tranny's life? I think its safe to say yes...you've got more of a load on it than it was designed to have and at some point something will give...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14