lifts and towing

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This guy is talking about 39 to 40 inch tires much much larger than 35s!
Im not saying that 35 wont f up your tranny, but you NEVER hear anyone say you better change your gears when they post on this forum "I just got 35s on my rig!"

I emailed powerstrokehelp for advice on my truck with my size tires and they suggested 4.10 or 4.30 (currently have 3.73)! There is a formula for figuring up new differential gearing with new tire size. I'm no expert on differentials or gearing....but I will listen to people that do know what they are talking about! I wasn't neccesarily telling you that you need to change your gearing...just throwing it out there to keep it in mind! I think 35's would be the teater-totter of needing to upgrade for protection of any more damage depending on how you use the truck like NDsuperduty said. But like I mentioned....I'm no expert...thats why I just posted the vid that went a little more to explaining of what Dogman had to say.

And yes the snorkel looked AWESOME:sweet Offroading is probably the most hectic situation you can put on the transmission.

Last edited:

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it applies to all trucks across the board. If you dont get your gearing back to stock, you'll be putting a lot more strain on the tranny. Will it KILL it? Maybe...if you run the hell out of it. Will it shorten the tranny's life? I think its safe to say yes...you've got more of a load on it than it was designed to have and at some point something will give...

Agreed. I guess what I was really saying is that I dont think 37 or 40's on a street queen will be going through trannies as often as a similar truck that pulls alot or offroads. Lift and tires will always add stress and wear things out faster, but I also think how you drive your truck is as big if not a bigger reason for broken parts.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plus I know how much the whole rebuilding the tranny with new tc costs....so I would want to make sure I didn't have to do it again.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HMMM! I was not aware of the need to change your gears to 4.11 with 35 inch tires. I have a rebuilt tranny and new TC and run my factory 3.73 right now. With the tranny and TC upgrades is this still a problem?

You dont need to if your JUST street driving, but it's a good idea. But if you are towing then you will want to regear. I would rather spend 600 on regear then 4K on a new trans.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned in one of my threads but don't tuners adjust the tranny shift points to adjust for bigger tires? This may be a retarded idea, but if you don't have a tuner could you just hit the overdrive button just before you go to pass someone?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's never a retarded idea, just retarded answer. :innocent

Not all tuners have that ability, and yes and no on the overdrive button. The 6.0 dont have the OD button it a tow mode button. The OBS truck do.... I think. But all your doing is masking the problem with the tires.

A ruff way to figer your gearing you need is .12 x your tire size = gear you need.
.12 X 37"= 4.44 gear, round up 4.56

Last edited:

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I like the equation for figuring tire size!! I'm so tired of my cupped Micky Thompson ATZ tires its ridiculous!!! Driving on tires that are cupped it freaking HORRIBLE! I'm thinking of going with some Micheline LTX M/S2's! They will be alot smaller than my 315's but I don't care!! I travel to KC from Raleigh, NC twice a year and don't want wobbly tires anymore! The 285's should be better for my 3.73 gears also! Anyone running these tires? How do you like them?

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Best way to get rid of cupping is to rotate the tires regularly. In the powerstroke's case, every oil change, depending on you're oil change interval. Don't forget alignments, and proper air pressure either. It's not so much the tire, as the maintenance. (or lack thereof!) Proper gearing is critical to keeping the longevity, and performance of the truck similar to factory. But not as critical as proper care. JMO

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Thanks bigrigr. I will be rotating every oil change and the alignment will be a regular thing also! I have 418,000 miles on my rig. Is there anything else that I might need to replace to help the tires from cupping?

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Just watch the frontend parts closely. Wheel bearing assemblies, and ball joints are common tire wear culprits too. Bottom line is, take an offensive approach to maintenance instead of defensive, get under the truck once in a while and get you're hands dirty. You'll be alot more aware of poss. problems before they do damage to other components. If you keep the front end tight, and don't beat the truck, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to run whatever tire you want. (I run 35" muds on my own truck BTW)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14