Light smoke at idle and excelleration

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I've been getting a light smoke at idle and a pretty good haze on all take offs. It doesn't seem to matter how warm or cold it is. Could this be my tuning or is there something else possibly going wrong. My biggest concern is head gasket as I am losing some coolant. Haven't had time to isolate it to the water pump yet.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the haze? does it smell sweet?

it should be white for coolant and have a sweet smell. Generally with a headgasket leak going into the combustion chambers you will get an overpressurized cooling system since the cylinder pressures are greater than the coolant pressure.

Programming is a possibility but unless you have had your pcm reflashed that should be a very easy point to eliminate.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your exhaust does not smell sweet then it is likely not a head gasket problem. I have been chasing a coolant leak on my truck for quite some time now and I have finally determined it is the gasket for the oil cooler at the truck. I still have yet to get the first drop on the ground because the leak is slow enough and the engine is hot enough to evaporate what does leak, just enough to give you a whiff of a smell and only occasionally then and the dropping levels of coolant in the system.

As for the smoke since I am going to guess that your programming is not new it is not a real likely suspect the more probable answer is that something, likely injectors, wore out and you're getting poor atomization which would cause incomplete combustion resulting in a greyish (black) haze. I've seen problems similar that were an injector nozzle. You should be able to determine the source of the problem with a cylinder contribution test

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg