Lighter pedal spring mod

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something I did awhile back, yet haven't shared with anyone is the removal of one of the return springs on the fuel pedal. It has 2 and really only needs 1. My Dad would complain how heavy the springs on the fuel pedal were on a trip. I noticed the extra effort once I bought the superduty's, but became used to it until someone borrowed either rig and I got to drive a different vehicle.

Anyway, my truck doesn't have adjustable pedals and it was very easy to do. It is reversible if someone found 1 spring to be too soft for their liking. I just bent the tab holding the spring on so I could move the spring where it is no longer holding the pedal mechanism. The spring could be easily repositioned back to stock.

On the X, it has adjustable pedals & required grinding one spring down, removing the tab/ear so it isn't reversible to do the mod. I did the truck first and found it much nicer on a long trip to drive & duplicated the mod on the X.

This wasn't like a Big deal, but I would do it again.

Dennis

Just a side note, My Dad used to complain about driving the X. This last family trip, he remarked how completely different the X has been transformed. He never believed it would be possible to improve the X's ride, handling and overall feel compared to when new (right down to the fuel pedal). When new he just wrote it off that the X was a SuperDuty vehicle and would never have a comfortable feel like his 99 2500 Suburban. He used to ONLY compliment the powerstroke.

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Wasn't it called something like the power pedal mod or something back when?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never noticed that - guess after 3 Ex's I'm used to it...
or use the cruise control too much :)

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power pedal mod was a mod to increase responsiveness. It removed the delay that some have when pushing down on the accelerator from a stop. It was popular on 99 trucks.

The pedals have been changed or updated some since 99.

The spring mod was something I didn't think anyone would really care about & I didn't share it right away for that reason. Most of us get used to our trucks and won't bother.

Really, I did it more for my dad, he's an anti Ford guy and he's changing his opinions of what a Ford can be. He only mentioned the pedal a few times after driving for 4-5 hours on 2 lane blacktop and I thought, why does it have to have such a strong spring? I removed the one & found I like it too. Now when he borrows the trucks, he praises what great vehicles these Ford Superduty's are! :thumbs

Anyway, I just figured, why not share?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It strikes me as funny that such a small detail would make such a big difference in how the driver's perception of a vehicle is.

I've alwasy had a ford of some sorts and have gotten used to driving them since they all seem to have a rather firm go pedal. To the point that when I'm the DD for someone in their chevy I alwasy feel like I'm holding my foot in the air but I guess the fact that I alwasy wear boots might have something to do with that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58