List your Top 5 Best Upgrade/Mods.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
In order of value or performance gain (some mods go together or were done at the same time):

1. Upgrading early 99 PCM to 99.5 PCM w/DP-Tuner 80hp Econo-tune.
2. Single shot stage I injectors w/ Wildman's tunes on flip chip.
3. BTS tranny
4. 4" MBRP exhaust
5. Dynatrac front bearing conversion
6. KCM Stainless HPX mod
7. A.I.S. intake w/ foam fender air intake sleeve & Zoodad mod
8. Shimmed FPR & in cab fuel pressure gauge
9. BD Exhaust brake
10. ICPW headlamps, headlight harness, Silverstar bulbs

FWIW: Dominator 66 turbo is on order from Bean's.:sly :thumbs

Last edited:

jhamlin164

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok............guess I'll take a stab at this Top 10:

1). Gauges, gauges, & gauges (Autometer/Nexus) :cool:
2). ARP Head studs & Fire Ring gaskets :thumbs
3). Gear Vendors Aux Tranny (gotta love that unloaded gas mileage) :D
4). Banks Powerpack with PDA (exhaust, intercooler, Ottomind 6, PDA)
5). Water-Meth Injection (more for cooling than power) ;)
6). Firestone Airbags (just to keep it level during tow time with 5er)
7). SSBC big brake kit (when it becomes available for my truck)
8). Powerslot rotors/Hawk pads on the four corners
9). Turbo upgrade
10). Injector upgrades

Regards,

Jerry

electryc_monk

Gestalt w/mild chaos
Reaction score
Mod list...Isn't it always growing?

As I'm the second owner of this truck (the story I got from the first owner is your "typical dream" transfer of ownership.) HE used it for hauling his 5th wheel and traded it in on a new '05... the "Family friend at the dealership cut me a deal ($3100 below its retail value and did a bunch of cute stuff too) - the credit union gave me the loan so fast it was mind numbing. The tranny was replaced at 140K for some reason (I forget now) IT came with new brakes, and tires too. The guy had the Exhaust brake installed before he started hauling as well as a dual pilar EGT and boost gauge. So these don't count in my book for Mod'ing. Does it? (smirks)

First actual Mod was the temporary 5th wheel assembly for RV transporting. (sheepish grin)

2. the $75 2X4 and poly-styrene(?)(sp){plastic} frame and wing used if the FEMA hauling effort. (it really helped in the auto tranny dept.(significantly reduced the "downshifting" as it was bone stock "preformance wise" when I got it.

3. Aux tank in the bed (115 gal. cap.- 110-112 usable on long runs) by a guy named Mike in Frisco,Tx
4. Edge juice (stage 1 mod only so far)
5. K&N in OEM air filter box
6. Towbar (tryed one (it broke) then returned it for an Aventa II by Blue OX)
7. 23K gooseneck/5th wheel hitch assembly (its really nice)
8. I Made the DOT mud-flap's for transporting from 18-wheeler flaps
9. found on ebay a fiber glass ARE tonneau cover that matched the color of the truck for just over $100 down in Dallas of all places (go figure eh?)
10. Driveshaft quick disconnect now this is a KEWL mod to have!
10.1. is a part of the towbar setup that mechanically activates the trucks breaks. (its slick too.)
10.2. Tool box in corner of bed (yawns)
11. muffler & Cat delete mod (because I tracked fuel use since acquiring truck I can validate the mpg bennies correctly.) From downpipe back went to 4" straight pipe...at a cost of $90 i think it was that much maybe it was only $75? So far depending on how heavy the foot mpg increase has been at worst 0.75 to 1.9mpg best increase. I measure on per tank full as I can run the belly dry and then quick switch to the bed tank for true accuracy(sp).
12. Oil bypass filter setup (duh! Almost forgot this one.)

Accessories? Sirius, CB, magnetic seat pad, Laptop stand and hardwired inverter deddicated for it and 12V cooler stored in bed. Hmmm maybe the Laptop stand/inverter should be the #12 on the list???? (shrugs shoulders)

Current plans are slowly coming into focus... WVO setup, moding the tonneau cover, CCV (*molecular sieve version*)mod, Zoodad mod, torque converter lock up wire mod, gearvender or USGear double overdrive unit, spare-tire(s) rear bumper swingarm idea, replace spare-tire storage with a rear fuel tank(2008 Dodge poly tank from a "Cab-n-chassis") WILL FIT and looks to hold 40+/- gal's, and a belly pan bow to stern. Someone somewhere said something about swapping out the stock FMIC for the 6.0 FMIC and I went "Hmmmmm."

WVO setup is my own alchemy of Frybrid's, FN78, and a couple of guys on the frybrid forums setups, and goldenfuels "collection on the fly" idea too.

Tonneau cover will stay basically fiberglass but will be morphed like Steve Austin.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
here are some of mine....

1.) stage 1 injectors---- cost $400 and my stock injectors, AWESOME upgrade
2.) guages-------------- got from a buddy and very nice upgrade, ISSPRO boost and pyro on 2 guage A-pillar pod
3.) exhaust-------------- cost $400, 5" stacks sound awesome!!!!!
4.) traction bars-------- cost about $20, helps a ton with axle wrap and hop
5.) single mass flywheel conversion kit- $550, no more rattling, but been having ton of clutch trouble since, been through 9 slave cylinders in the past year. cone that throwout bearing rides on is very likely worn causing the slave to go out.

Last edited:

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
1) Converted to run on WVO
2) Gauges (water, vegoil, tranny, boost & pyro)
3) DP Tuner 4 pos chip
4) 70 gal aux tank with transfer pump
5) 4" exhaust

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order of priority ?

1. Gauges: EGT, Boost, Engine/Trans (real) Temp.

2. Intake: enclosed w/Fender mod & Zoodad.

3. Exhaust: 4", Turbo back w/Low restriction muffler.

4. Fuel Pressure: Increased to 70 psi.

5. Fuel pump & Tank: R&R QD fittings. (to reduce air in fuel)

Gauges to see whats go'n on, after you've opened a 7.3 up and let it Breath.. with better fuel pressure.. with little or No air in it.

Then other Mods in my Sig., to enhance the above.

jus my .03 :dunno

Last edited:

Diezel Dawg

vvv Real NW Truck
Reaction score
1. Garrett GTP38R BB Turbo
2. AFE Stage 2 Intake
3. 4" MBRP Exhaust
4. 3 Gauge A pillar
5. Dp-Tuner 3 Postion chip(upgrading to F5)
6. Bilsteins
7. 4 Moto Metal 951 wheels(paid $300)
8. ITP Reg Return w/fuel bowl delete and air Dog fuel system(installing in the fall when i return from Korea)
9. DieselSite Coolant Filter(Installing in sept when i return from Korea)
10. KCM SS High pressure crossover
11. 4 Good Year wrangler MT/Rs(paid $240 TOTAL!!)
12. Sirius satellite radio!! gotta love it
13. ITP CCV Mod
14. Stainless steel bug deflector(because my plastic deflector keep breaking in Alaska during the cold weather)

future Mods include Big Oil, Mini Me Hybrid Injectors, headstuds, and BTS or John Wood Tranny, most likely BTS

Last edited:

J L Dunn

J L Dunn
Reaction score
Why?

O K...must be something here for me? :)

I purchased my 7.3 in July, '99 primarily to move my Airstream Deer Camp Trailer and also for the 500,000+ miles I expected (and still do) to get from this truck (engine now has 173,200), because I wanted a vehicle to last me the full length of my employment life (I'm currently 40 years in the engineering profession and still working as a P E out of Houston area)...

I notice gauges mentioned several times. What is it about gauges that are such a good modification to have...enlighten me please.

Thanks,

J L Dunn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58