Help Needed Little throttle response, very sluggish

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My 03 F350 has hardly any throttle response when pressing the accelerator. If I start out with a normal speed all is fine but if I need to get a fast start and I press the accelerator to the floor the engine seems to slow. Also when driving at say 45 and I press the accelerator to the floor the transmission will down shift and the RPMs will increase but the truck just doesn't respond and does not gain any speed. It is not missing or misfiring...It just has no power!! I appreciate any ideas and input. Thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Turbocharged motors do not make power from a standing start when you floor it. You need to get the turbo spinning before you nail it. Ease into it for 2 seconds and then nail it.

Dave

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I'm just throwing this out there....is the truck blowing some black smoke when you are trying to acclerate? If so, I think my first check would be the boots on the air tubes from the turbo to the intercooler and the intercooler to the intake manifold. It's possible one has slipped off or is cracked and you are not getting full boost pressure.

Also, please click on User CP in the blue menu bar near the top of the page and fill in your signature with your truck info so we have some more information about your truck to help you out.

BigredF350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Poneyexpress,
You hit the nail on the head. Found a crack in the air cooler. Replaced it and truck runs great. There has been a lot of controversy about the 6.0L but I have a little over 190000 miles and am very pleased with my truck. Looking forward to another 190000.:)

mohle

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The 5R110 transmission is programed from the factory with a delay when the throttle is rapidly applied. This is supposed to extend transmission life. I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but it has been an annoyance for some people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58