Location?

beast1

Bart
Reaction score
I have a small question about an EGT gauge. I found an EGT gauge online for a little over $100.00. My question is on the probe. I have been told to tap onto the manifold and also drill and tap on the down pipe. If anyone has any information where I should put the probe (location) I will sure appreciate any suggestions! Thanks Bart.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will want to drill and tap into the manifold to get a true reading of the temp.
If you do the down pipe or after the trubo your gage will read about 200 deg. less.
I am sure other will be posting soon.
Doug

beast1

Bart
Reaction score
Thanks Doug! Will any of the metal shavings hurt if any drop inside the manifold? Thanks again for the quick response!!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use a good grease on your drill bit as you drill, that should keep most of the steel on the bit.
Start with a small bit first then go the bit your hole needs to be, using the grease.
Clean the hole up and us a shop vac, should get the big stuff out. You should be fine.
Good Luck.
Doug

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Many of us have drilled and tapped the manifold without any adverse effect on the turbo. The "chips" will be small and not moving with any speed when it is first fired up. I vacuumed the drilled hole out before I fired mine up.

Dave :)

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has already been mentioned the chips are not a problem, the intake wheel is fragile while the exhaust turbine is a much more rugged piece to handle the temperature and as a result is not easily damaged.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will want to drill and tap into the manifold to get a true reading of the temp.
If you do the down pipe or after the trubo your gage will read about 200 deg. less.
[I am sure other will be posting soon.]
Doug

[;):D:D;)]

Just one Outlaw opinion ? and albeit unpopular here on SDD ? I say: EGT's read from..Pre-turbo, or Post-Turbo... as long as you pay attention to the EGT Temp readings.. and operate your PSD accordingly, i.e., Gear selection, throttle and speed needs.. EITHER Pre, or Post.. EGT's are JUST FINE.

:dunno, an example could be: I've had my EGT Thermocouple installed 6" after the Turbo for 160,000 of the 169,000 miles on my 7.3... 6 speed w/3:73's... pulling a 12,000lb 5r.. all over the continental US... From Sea level to 9,000+ feet.

:dunno CC on, @ 62 mph I'm at 600*. Pulling a short 6% grade, in 5th, I'm at 800*.. if its a longer pull, and starts to climb (?) I jus' go to 4th.

:dunno Just set yerself some limits.. and Operate yer truck (not drive) accordingly... Pre or Post.. EGT's

Jus' Remember ? It's NOT how Fast you go up the Hill.. It's How WELL you go up the Hill.. ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58