lock up converter on demand

pollittax

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
guzzle's lockup mod looks striaght foward, but will the converter hold in 3rd gear with 11k intow with 3/4 to full throtle? oh yeah 6 or 7 % grade over afew miles up hill? hope this makes sense. thanks for any help.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
you have a better chance of holding 3rd than 4th. if everything is up to snuff in the tranny you shouldnt have any issues. under loads like that my truck locks itself and it held, until about 150k when the TC crapped out.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just like zookie said. IF everything is up to snuff in the transmission it'll hold it. If you think your converter is slipping now then you'll just speed up the demise of the converter.

I ran the wire for the lock up mod on my truck about 3 years ago but the more I think about it the more I realize that I don't really need it especially once I got a good torque converter.

pollittax

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
looks like maybe i ought start saving those pennies for a new tq. how much improvment in your crew was the new converter? night and day?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the torque converter with a transgo tugger kit at the same time so I can't say for sure what changes were attributable to which mod but I can say it was a world of difference. I can say that when i had my hot chip in with the injectors the converter would hold full throttle immediately after install then the internals started slipping. Keep in mind that you have some better internals that I did to start with.... I discovered during my rebuild that it had a very cheap job done before.

Sadly in my case I discovered how sloppy the rest of the transmission was :( so a full on rebuild was due about a year or so later but before the internals disintegrated. I had a local race shop open & clean my converter before I reused it with the new build.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i have a standard cab OBS, but when i put an ATS 5 start T.C. in i picked up 2mpg city. i also did the ATS pump upgrade while i was in there, wich provides pressurized lubrication to places that are just "splashed" as well as upping the pumps pressure. i am very happy with the way it now performs. the low stall converter is awesome for the amount of low end torque our diesels have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14