Long Crank but starts ???

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picking everybodies brain here. My wifes 01 Excursion was slow starting. It cranks longer than it used to, but it still starts. It is stock with 130K on it.
I checked Alternator and batteries all checked okay so i figured the starter was bad so i replaced the starter and it still had the long crank time. So i changed the alternator which tested good but i could see a pulse in the interior lights at idle so i changed it anyway. And it still long cranks.
Anybody have a different area to check, could it be oil pressure related or something im not looking at.
I appreciate the input just trying to look at the correct possibilities, you know.
Thought i had it figured out but i guess not.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check to see if your oil is low or passed time to change or is it passed time to change your fuel filters?

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
check to see if the high pressure oil pump is leaking that is what caused mine to crank longer.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
take a look @ your glow plugs and GPR especially if it is just the first start of the morning that's a bit sluggish.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay sorry for the delay on this reply.
I just replaced the oil filters and fuel, less than 3 weeks ago. I checked the batteries with a snapon load tester and i did them individually. they tested good. The other thing is it is still happening but it does it when it wants to. It can be hot or cold but when it wants to do a long crank there is no pattern to it.
I am thinking HPOP only because of what i have read but how do i check it to know??

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info,it would be easier and cheaper than a pump , one more question though before i spend the 160 on the GPCM should i being seeing codes for this unit not functioning i have not had any and i have not been able to find a test method for the GPCM before i throw the money at it. Just want to make sure you know, my money tree grows very slow these days.

jherman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welll it turned out to be one bad battery and i never did replace the GPCM thankfully.
I did end up putting a starter in i didnt need but thats how it goes sometimes. I checked the batteries originally and both had good voltage, this time as i was going to replace the GPCM i thought i"ll load test then for fun. turns out one of them had no load reading at all. I went to the dealer to get a filter and had them run me a price on the batteries, they were on sale for 100.00 with a 100 month warranty so i bought them. thanks to all who sent me a response as i was working on this i cant thank you enough.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58