Long crank time to start

shadowrider530

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
my buddies truck was the same way come to find out somehow he had the wrong o ring seal on the fuel filter so it was sucking in air. Once we got the right o right the truck starts right up in the cold.

bgirls

lacky
Reaction score
Well the morning temp was 43, plugged in, 2 light cycles of the glow plugs and it is better but nowhere near as good as it was 6 weeks ago. i am going with the low quality fuel direction as everything else checks good.

well i do not think it was a fuel issue, today i replaced the glow plugs. tonight i started it and it acts the same.

Last edited:

bgirls

lacky
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED

Just because the glow plug relay is showing 12 volts does not mean there is enough amperage flowing to glow the plugs.
now i turn the key, when the wait to start light goes out it starts instantly.
i hooked the origonal glow plugs to a battery charger and everyone glows so nice. i guess i will keep them as spares.

viper5035

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED

Just because the glow plug relay is showing 12 volts does not mean there is enough amperage flowing to glow the plugs.
now i turn the key, when the wait to start light goes out it starts instantly.
i hooked the origonal glow plugs to a battery charger and everyone glows so nice. i guess i will keep them as spares.

thats great but what was the problem

bgirls

lacky
Reaction score
i replaced the GPR, as i was cleaning the ring terminals i found a hard substance that may have come from inside the heat shrink tube on the ring terminals or from inside the relay. in any event i will not have to worry about it with a new one in place. (i hope)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58