Long distance driving?

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm going home for the holidays and its about 1100 miles, any recommendations when it comes to driving habits when going for long distances without stopping? And also should i let the engine idle for a few minutes prior to shutting down after extended driving like that?

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never hurts to idle a little while before shutting down, especially after pulling it hard. Depends on the engine you have but I would guess 50-60 mph is your best fuel economy. My truck's tank can easily outlast my body's tank just about all the time. Don't drink a bunch of fluids or eat nasty food I guess to avoid "other" stops. LOL

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats around 22 hours so i would suggest pulling into a cracker barrel to get a bite to eat and getting a couple of hours of rest with your eyes closed. Its amazing how a small rest break can help you. I use to drive about 500 miles then stop at Waffle House for food and shut eye then drive another 4 or 500 miles to my destination.

It worked for me..

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
what I thinks helps is either get an audio book or find a talk radio station that keeps me the most alert while driving. I have driven 24 hours in one pull once, and never again, it gets dangerous. I usually leave like at 4 in the morning stop at about every 400 miles drive till about 9-10 at night pull over to a wayside rest lay across the bench and sleep a few hours at least. But that's me. If you have a pyro gauge keep an eye on it when you stop let it cool down to like 350 before you shut it down.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going home for the holidays and its about 1100 miles, any recommendations when it comes to driving habits when going for long distances without stopping?

*** Don't Push your self. Let the Jerks have their way. Use the # 2 lane, @ 62 mph. Carry some hard candies. Stop every 2-300 miles (fill up ?), stretch yer legs, take whiz and Handle any Cell calls or Texts.

And also should i let the engine idle for a few minutes prior to shutting down after extended driving like that?

*** Yes. Let it spool down & cool down some.

My .03 ?

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58