Long Starts

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
One way to rule out the GP system is to plug it in overnight and see if it starts quicker.

It sounds more like the reservoir is loosing it's prime since it's taking 4-5 secs. Pull the plug on top of the driver's side of the reservoir before starting it next time. If it's more than 1-2" low you have a leak down issue.

Reservoir was to the top of the body about 1" from the top of the threads. Just for laughs I filled it up further to see if it would make a difference. Seemed to take even longer to start and it was 45 degrees out. Fair cloud of smoke. Started with a "rah room".

I am suspecting GP controller is dead, is that possible without SES?

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I just drove it to the hardware store and when I got out after about 5 minutes it still took forever to start. But if I just shut it off and start it it starts right up. I would think if it was GPs it would have started right up when it was warm.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is not the Glow Plugs. Maybe a fuel problem, like the HPOP not getting up to pressure. These trucks need something like 500 pounds to fire the injectors. My numbers may be wrong, but you get the idea.

Dave

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
I just drove it to the hardware store and when I got out after about 5 minutes it still took forever to start. But if I just shut it off and start it it starts right up. I would think if it was GPs it would have started right up when it was warm.

Hmmmm....may need to see what ICP at crank under both conditions. Do you have a scan tool or mechanical gauge rated for the pressures? Since the reservoir isn't leaking down I wonder if the injector o-rings are.

newt92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 7.3 a few months ago and it seemed to crank longer until it fired like you stated. I drove it few hundred miles then filled up and put fuel injector cleaner in and within a quater of tank it fired in about one-third of the time it used to. Not saying this could be the problem but if you havent used any might not hurt to try. Could be a cheap fix if thats the problem. Just my :2c

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
I have an Autoenginuity but I have not used it in awhile and need to get a new code for it. I will have to do that tomorrow.

Checked fuel pressure and it appears to be around 60 psi (I can't find the card that translates resistance to pressure) but it drops to zero as soon as the pump shuts off.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 7.3 a few months ago and it seemed to crank longer until it fired like you stated. I drove it few hundred miles then filled up and put fuel injector cleaner in and within a quater of tank it fired in about one-third of the time it used to. Not saying this could be the problem but if you havent used any might not hurt to try. Could be a cheap fix if thats the problem. Just my :2c

im curious what kinda "fuel injector cleaner" youre using....
you should NOT use anything that contains alcohol or is intended
for gasoline injectors !

99SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

same thing happened to my truck and it was two of my inj. o-ring were shot. so you are loosing the fuel or oil pressure for the inj's. you can do a leak down test on the injs or pull them out and replace the o-rings. are you using alot of fuel treatment when you fill up or everytime you fill up?????

just my thoughts

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
same thing happened to my truck and it was two of my inj. o-ring were shot. so you are loosing the fuel or oil pressure for the inj's. you can do a leak down test on the injs or pull them out and replace the o-rings. are you using alot of fuel treatment when you fill up or everytime you fill up?????

just my thoughts

I pretty much only fill it with Chevron and I use Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel most of the time.

I just took it into town and a couple of times it started right up. A couple of times it took longer but less than 3 seconds I would say.

The oil was down to the fill line so I filled it up before I left.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14