Looking at new diesel trucks - want unbiased input

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 diesel. I bought the truck new 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it. The truck has never been back to the dealer for anything. It gets about 19.5 mpg in mixed city/highway driving; 22-23 mpg in strictly interstate driving empty; and got 13.8 mpg on our last trip to the beach pulling our 27 ft 5ver. The truck is fairly easy to do routine maintenance on. The oil filter, fuel filter (it only has one), and the air filter are all relatively easy to get to. Actually, I'm very satisfied with the truck. BUT; it has the 6 spd manual G56 tranny, which for me is fine, but the wife won't even try to drive the stick shift. When I bought it, I thought that I could get her to drive it because in her youth she had owned a Subaru with a manual. But NOOOOO! She wants an automatic so that she can drive it if necessary. SO. . . since the dealers are all offering great deals right now, I thought I would start my research again. When I bought the 2005 Dodge, I had talked to a lot of people and some diesel mechanics and guys that were taking diesel classes at the local Vocational - Technical school. They talked me out of buying a Ford because of the problems they had all seen with the 6.0 Powerstroke. I'm glad they did, because the Dodge/Cummins has been flawless. BUT, having been a Ford guy in the past and since the new 6.4 is supposed to be much more reliable, I thought I'd give the Fords another look. I love the looks, inside and out, of the new Super Dutys! My questions to you guys are: Since I do my own routine maintenance, how hard is it to get to the oil filter, fuel filter(s), and air filter? What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with a F250 4X4 SD and the 6.4 Powerstroke? Has the 6.4 lived up to the hype of improved reliability? An article I read in one of the diesel mags said that the 6.4 had been through more extensive testing than any engine that Ford had ever offered. Does it show? What about the automatic tranny used in the Super Dutys? Are those proving to be reliable? I don't plan on doing any mods so the auto will not be taxed with extra hp and torque. Please; only unbiased opinions. I have owned Fords and Dodges (and for that matter, a few GM products too). I like both Fords and Dodges. Never had much luck out of GM stuff though but that's beside the point. The Ford pickups that I owned in the past were all gassers but were great trucks. If not for the poor rep of the 6.0, I would probably have bought a SD in '05. This is not my first Dodge either, though, and I have had good service out of the Dodges I've owned, especially this '05 HD. Just want some honest feedback from you 6.4 SD owners as I start looking for a new diesel WITH AN AUTO TRANNY.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
I'd give it (6.4) another year milage it poor at best i'm a die hard ford guy you can't beat the 7.3 one of the best truck motors out there but the govt. screwed that up. ford makes a great automatic but I don't trust the 6.4 yet, just as I was starting to trust the 6.0 the govt. stepped in again. I'd love to get a new truck myself but when you do your own maint and I've got 200*** plus and its never been back to the dealer since 1,800 miles you hear all the stories about injectors turbos and such its hard to get rid of old and reliable. my suggestion would drop the suggestions of the wife learning to drive it use a little reverse physicology (sp) (worked for me) and enjoy the reliable truck you have.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my F350 6.4 so far. I have put nearly 30K miles since purchasing it at the end of July 2008.

I put a 9 foot flatbed on mine and it hauls oilfield equipment just about every day. I also added airbags on the rear to level out the heavy loads.

I have 4.10 rear end with limited slip differential.

The fuel mileage has been very good. I normally drive it very easy while it has a load on the back.

If I drive 63-65 mph the mileage is good. 15-18 mpg depending on the load. With no load I can get about 17-18. With the heaviest loads (about 6000 pounds) I've gotten about 12-13 mpg. I drive nearly all highway, so that helps a lot.

I drove it very slow once on a short trip (55-60 mph) and got nearly 19mpg. No load.

I also drove it 80 mpg in west TX for about 200 miles into a strong wind and it got 8 mpg.

A lot of people complain about the mileage, but as long as you drive it easy you will be rewarded for the efforts. Keep in mind I have the 4.10 gear ratio. You might get better with the lower ratio. If you get a 4x4 with tow package, you will likely see lower mpg results. I think that package is a 4.33 or something higher.

It's been dependable. I have not brought it to the dealer except for 3 oil changes. I changed the fuel filters myself yesterday. easy to do.

The only problem I've had has been a rough start on a couple of occasions, but that's stopped since I now let the glow plugs do their job first. I'm also running Ford's fuel additive with every fill up.

Make sure you get the tow mirrors. The stock mirrors are useless. I also recommend getting the up-fitter switches and trailer brake setup if you will do any towing. Nice to have it all wired in from the get-go.

You can view a pic of my truck under my name on the left side of the post.

I have the F350 dually XL. Vinyl floor. Fairly plain except for cloth seats and electric mirrows/windows/locks. I think I also have the premium stereo.

Got mine for about 36K after rebates and before taxes.

Take care.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
torqlvr - dealers may be offering good deals on new trucks, but they will OFFEND you on the offer for yours. Trucks are not selling, so THEY DON'T WANT IT! They will make sure that they can sell your's and make money on it by buying it cheap.

Past that, do a search in the 6.4 BB for "mileage". You will see a long list of complaints. I have a '04 6.0, and don't get very good mileage either, but I can live with it. It sounds to me like MPG is important to you, so do your research! Don't rely soley on the responses to your question!

Here is a start...
What is your fuel economy?

My theory? Anybody who has an economy car that they want to trade-in on a new truck will do really well. Trading truck/truck, not so much. Don't ever forget, THE DEALER IS GOING TO MAKE SURE HE MAKES MONEY!!!

NOTE: A friend of mine owns a local Ford dealership. He has personally told me that the last week of the year is the time to buy. If they don't sell them, they pay inventory taxes on them. They are usually willing to lose money on the deal as long as the loss is less than what the taxes would be!

Last edited:

torqlvr

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the honest input! Kenholl, I appreciate the tips. I might consider selling my truck and then going to get a new one. And the tip about getting better deals the last week of the year is great. I hadn't thought of that!
Honestly, I've not made up my mind yet. I hate to get rid of such a reliable truck as my Dodge/Cummins and then take a chance on the new one being as reliable, especially with all the new emissions equipment on the new ones. I've been looking at the Dodge sites too and the 6.7 also seems to have a few teething pains and is getting less mileage than the 5.9. Too bad that these newer trucks are so complicated that I can't just swap the tranny out! I remember the "good ol' days" when that wouldn't be a problem!
Anyway, I'm pondering the possibilities. I love the looks of the new Super Dutys! Great looking trucks! Then again; maybe I just need to leave the better half out in the middle of nowhere in the truck and MAKE her drive it! But then, she might just run over me with it; a few times!

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the honest input! Kenholl, I appreciate the tips. I might consider selling my truck and then going to get a new one. And the tip about getting better deals the last week of the year is great. I hadn't thought of that!
Honestly, I've not made up my mind yet. I hate to get rid of such a reliable truck as my Dodge/Cummins and then take a chance on the new one being as reliable, especially with all the new emissions equipment on the new ones. I've been looking at the Dodge sites too and the 6.7 also seems to have a few teething pains and is getting less mileage than the 5.9. Too bad that these newer trucks are so complicated that I can't just swap the tranny out! I remember the "good ol' days" when that wouldn't be a problem!
Anyway, I'm pondering the possibilities. I love the looks of the new Super Dutys! Great looking trucks! Then again; maybe I just need to leave the better half out in the middle of nowhere in the truck and MAKE her drive it! But then, she might just run over me with it; a few times!

It wouldnt cost you that much money to throw an auto in yours... I know it can be done for about 3-4k. Its all in how much you love that truck...

450psd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well the truck im driving is not only a f-250 but a f-450. I wanted tow package so i got that heavy duty tow package with 4.88's to handle those much bigger loads(24,000lbs+). So far i have about 20,000km's and the motor has run flawless nothing ever seems to run weird, or anything of that sort. now iv heard people complain of the milage with there 450's or superduties for that matter. Now i usually run that 8-12 mpg mark but thats usually with or without a trailer maybe 7 if its really heavy load but thats to be expected with such a steap rear end. Also it depends on how you DRIVE. keep your foot out of it and you will be rewarded. Now you wanted an opinion. Me im a Ford guy.. but.. i also can appreciate the competetors trucks. I grew up in Saskatchewan so most oilfield trucks are ford because they are what i would call "heavier duty". If I was on the highway more with my loads i would definatly consider GM or Dodge. I mean GM does offer a beautiful ride and the duramax with the allison has really seamed to work well.. and same with cummins and dodge. If your happy with the way your 05 ran than consider new Ram. But it all comes down to what YOU want in truck. All are comparable. Each offers something a little different in a truck.. hope this helps out and happy looking !

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought my F250 Lariat in September. I sold my 99 7.3 so I could by this one. The mileage isn't as good as my 7.3, but this thing has gobs of hp and torque! I find if I drive it easy, I can get pretty good mileage. It's all in the foot pressure. LOL!
I liked my 7.3, but I needed 4 doors and my 99 didn't have them, otherwise, I'd still be driving it. But overall, I'm satisfied with the truck and engine. I only have 3K on it so far and I've only towed my 5th wheel twice with it. I got pretty good mileage (12mpg avg) pulling 11K pounds.
The Dodge trucks are great too. Don't know about the chevys.
:usa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim