Looking at new SD, some equipment questions >

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a truck, but as I price them online I'm presented with a few options that I don't quite understand. Can one of you shed some light on these?

What is body side molding?
Why do you need more than one (or a heavy duty) alternator?
Is the 12.5K Ford Hitch the one I’m going to need?
What is the transmission power take off provision?

TIA everyone
:oops:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cdraayer said:
I'm about to buy a truck, but as I price them online I'm presented with a few options that I don't quite understand. Can one of you shed some light on these?

TIA everyone

Body side molding is a trim strip, usualy vinyl, between two paint colors, or to just add a little Pizzaz to the trucks looks.

The 2 alternator option is for extra heavy electical needs, like an Ambulance or Tow/Service Truck.

The hitch options are/will be based on YOUR needs. What yer guna do with the truck.

The PTO (Power Take Off) provision means: the transmission has a plate on the side that can be removed and a PTO can be installed without any modifications to the tranny.

Hope this helps.... :dunno

JOE

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It does, thanks. It seems I should have been more clear: is the 12.5 hitch necessary for typical tow needs, like towing a 8000lb trailer (it seems pretty hardcore)? Would something like a generator for airbags reqire a second alternator? And what is a PTO?

Sorry for my ignorance :sorry

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cdraayer said:
It does, thanks. It seems I should have been more clear: is the 12.5 hitch necessary for typical tow needs, like towing a 8000lb trailer (it seems pretty hardcore)? Would something like a generator for airbags reqire a second alternator? And what is a PTO?

Sorry for my ignorance :sorry

A 12.5 K hitch would be enough for your 8K trailor. (Sounds like the standard SD bumper hitch.) a 12.5K hitch is: it's rated to tow a trailor weighing up 12,500 lbs.

>>> NORMALY<<< the second ALT. is not needed, unless YOU KNOW yer guna need it or want it.... Based on some real heavy 12v power requirements. Airbags are normaly powered by a 12v pump. the single Alt. will handle that, no problem.

A PTO is a mechanical means of provideing power for auxilery things, like a hydrolic pump for a snow plow..... and so on. Takes Power Off of yer trucks transmission to provide that power.

Last edited:

ranger boy

Banned User
Reaction score
i must say that i would vouch for this truck ANYDAY...i love the 05 soo much (06 is the same). hope you love it as much as i love mine!

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
FLRin29 said:
So what truck did you get??

Lol, well, I didn't. It turned out that I was moving to San Francisco, not Utah (where I had planned to need a truck), and I didn't think the truck would work so well here. I'm still kinda uncertain how I'll pull my race car, but one thing at a time I guess!
:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The "City" is not the place for a truck. It is impossible to park in a garage. I will not even work in the City. Get a small Ricer.

Dave

Puddle Pirate

Will Pillage For Diesel
Reaction score
cdraayer said:

TIA everyone

I always thought it was odd that body side moldings are not an option with a dually. I had to add the Ford factory moldings to mine. What? People don't open their car doors into a dually????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58