Looking for a 7.3 F250/350

Potentialbuyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am from central New York and I have started to look for a new truck to replace my '99 F150 pickup. It has been a good truck but it is starting to show it's wear from our CNY winters. It still looks good but the lines underneath are starting to get crusty amongst other things. I see that the diesels have taken a serious dive in price due to the price of diesel fuel. I wanted a diesel for its towing capabilities and fuel economy (even though the fuel is more expensive). I figured that I could purchase a 2000 or so F250 or 350 that is not rusty and get the same mileage that I get with my 5.4 F150 (around 17 hwy). I don't use the vehicle every day so it would last me a long time. It will rust away before it wears out.
I have been an instructor for Ford ASSET for seven years so I am very familiar with the Ford diesels. I have taught the 6.0, steering/suspension,
4x4, electronics, and all the transmissions classes. I have taken all of the STST Ford training since 2000. I am teaching auto body now. I am looking for some information from real world owners of these vehicles so I can make a wise purchase choice.
I would like to puchase a '99-'02 F250/0350 with a long box and a crew cab because I figure that the size of the vehicle isn't going to affect the mileage any. I manual trans would be nice but they seem to be pretty rare unless you want an XL. I would rather have the options of an XLT. The 4R100 is a relatively reliable trans except it isn't as smart as a Torqshift after it has been updated (the early Torqshifts are pretty good after they have been updated).
If anyone has some tips for me or other things to watch out for when purchasing a used truck with 100,000-150,000 miles on it I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14