looking for inexpensive upgrades

patmed

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 f-250 4x4 crew cab short bed with a 7.3. i would like to know if it will be safe to run a straight pipe instead of paying for 4 inch exhaust? Are there any other VERY LOW budget tricks for more power?

Race22

Jim
Reaction score
Welcome to the sight patmed. You can run straight pipe and gain alittle. If you have a Catalytic Converter (CAT) and remove it and the muffler, you are take some back pressure off of the engine. You can also install a better induction (filter system) pretty cheap.:welcome3

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome

I run a 4 inch straight pipe with a turndown just under the cab/bed gap. I love it especially the whistle of the turbo:sweet . The only thing I don't like 100% of the time is the noise level. Can be very loud inside the cab from 1-3 gears. But that ( I believe) depends on the length of the pipe and where you have your tip pointing.

Also, an intake upgrade is a good addition (IMO) with a reasonable price.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Welcome SDD patmed!

Straight piping the stock exhaust will help it breath better. The stock muffler is horribly restrictive.

For a few mods...some inexpensive and some not so inexpensive, you can visit our technical articles found in the upper right corner of all SDD pages or click here SDD WIKI.

I'd start with the DIY air filter, CCV mod and possibly the 10k mod for a few extra ponies.

Happy reading!

F-450 HOTSHOT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just put one of those chrome exhaust stacks on my truck. Is there any cheap inexpensive way to get my truck to blow some black smoke because right now it does not blow any smoke at all.

kiarasue

The RamSmoker
Reaction score
Upgrades

There are so many you can do. You need to see though if there within your comfort zone. What ever you decide. Call on the site sponcers. This where the deals are.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58