looking for info on 2wheel to 4x4 conversion

mustangmuscle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to convert my 03 6.0l to 4 wheel drive. I've been told all the bolt holes are already in the frame. Any suggestions on best year trucks to get running gear from. Leaf spring or newer I beam? Will my trans work with the transfer case? Any suggestions and info appreciated THANKS

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You would be best to use the same year running gear that came with your truck. I would stick with the same suspension, as is is much easier. Even with the same year stuff, you are in for a big investment in time and $$$. Best to look for a donor truck that is an '03 four wheel drive.

Dave

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Dave. It would be better to find a 4x truck. What are you hoping to use the truck for?

mustangmuscle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use the truck for pulling my car to the track. I started off looking to just lift it with bigger rims and tires. But I was curious about just converting it

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're going for ease of swap then staying with leaf springs will help, ford didn't sue I-beams on the SD trucks they went to coils on a solid axle in '05 IIRC.

presuming you find a manual shift transfer case to simplify things your shopping list would be something like this

4WD pitman arm
Front axle complete disc to disc (you can reuse your calipers) w/ springs
4WD transmission (or have your output shaft swapped for a 4WD one)
Transfer case adapter
Transfer case with all shift mehcanisms
Floor shift boot
Rear driveshaft
Front driveshaft
Taller rear leaf springs or 4WD rear block

mustangmuscle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would computer be the same? I will start out looking for a donor truck but my buddy says alot of guys are swapping over to 2.5 ton running gear and that one ton running gear is getting cheaper and easy to find. He also says I should be able to do it in like two stages if I wanted. Get the new front end in. And I could drive it and then do transfer case and shafts and stuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58