looking into a project engine guys.. this WILL be FUN!!!

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
ok guys my brother just bought a cummins engine that he is going to build up for his truck and it has really got me thinking evil thoughts about building another powerstroke.

Now that i almost have my truck where i want it as far as being a reliable, ricer smoking beast i am looking into putting some funds into another engine to work on in the shop for the day i put this truck into retirement. i have so far found a '01 powerstroke engine for sale with 90k miles on it. the guy wants 1600 bucks for the complete engine with the turbo and everthing on it. engine has been undercover the whole time it has been out of the truck. i won't be able to buy this one since funds wont allow it quite yet, but i'm still going to be on the look out for any powerstroke engine from '95-02.

The engine i want to build may take me a long time to complete with all the parts i want to put in it, but i'm starting the list now even if i end up using the engine in my truck already as the base.

Here is what i want this engine to do... achieve 500+ hp and be a towing machine with an occasional drag strip run here and there.

Luke will most likely chime in on this and i look forward to it since i can't find the threads like this that he posts on.

the parts list--
-diy stage 3 injectors
-charger is still questionable, need input here.
-spearco intercooler
-big single HPOP
-DP-Tuner programming
-CPR fuel system
-6637 intake
-4" exhaust from turbo feeding into 5" all the way up to 7" single stack
-140v IDM
-3" intake plenums
-headstuds
-fireringed heads

i don't know if i will need upgraded connecting rods, pushrods, etc with this engine so i need y'alls help with that as well. Also i'm looking into a possibility of running compound twin turbos. Remember this will be a sort of long term project for me so the expense won't be as bad since it will be spread over a long period of time. This is going to be tons of fun!!!!!

Last edited:

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
ok guys my brother just bought a cummins engine that he is going to build up for his truck and it has really got me thinking evil thoughts about building another powerstroke.

Now that i almost have my truck where i want it as far as being a reliable, ricer smoking beast i am looking into putting some funds into another engine to work on in the shop for the day i put this truck into retirement. i have so far found a '01 powerstroke engine for sale with 90k miles on it. the guy wants 1600 bucks for the complete engine with the turbo and everthing on it. engine has been undercover the whole time it has been out of the truck. i won't be able to buy this one since funds wont allow it quite yet, but i'm still going to be on the look out for any powerstroke engine from '95-02.

The engine i want to build may take me a long time to complete with all the parts i want to put in it, but i'm starting the list now even if i end up using the engine in my truck already as the base.

Here is what i want this engine to do... achieve 500+ hp and be a towing machine with an occasional drag strip run here and there.

Luke will most likely chime in on this and i look forward to it since i can't find the threads like this that he posts on.

the parts list--
-diy stage 3 injectors
-charger is still questionable, need input here.
-spearco intercooler
-big single HPOP
-DP-Tuner programming
-CPR fuel system
-6637 intake
-4" exhaust from turbo feeding into 5" all the way up to 7" single stack
-140v IDM
-3" intake plenums
-headstuds
-fireringed heads

i don't know if i will need upgraded connecting rods, pushrods, etc with this engine so i need y'alls help with that as well. Also i'm looking into a possibility of running compound twin turbos. Remember this will be a sort of long term project for me so the expense won't be as bad since it will be spread over a long period of time. This is going to be tons of fun!!!!!

Pretty sure the 01 is the start year for powdered metal rods, so I would advise 00 and down.

92F350CC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What's that saying about drugs and a hot chick with an STD?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i was just thinking about a "500+ hp" engine being a "tow machine"...with those stage 3's the fumes are going to get HOT while towing a trailer up a hill.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i want a 500+ hp truck but on a tow program it won't be running at 500hp so i didn't think i would need water meth b/c the new turbo would take care of the fuel. i could easily be wrong. i'm going by the phrase "all throttle, no bottle." LoL

i think '01 is the year for pm rods so i will stay to the '00 and below. LoL.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you'll need new rods. Only good to 400hp. Sounds like a good start. What fuel system are you planning on running. Single turbo or twins? Wide Open Performance makes a nice set.

strokin'_tatsch

death row inmate #7
Reaction score
i was thinking of using the cpr fuel system from dieselsite, but i think it can only run up to 220cc injectors and the diy stage 3 injectors flow 230cc. so i'm not sure if i will have trouble with that extra 10cc more. i may just get the beans fuel system.

I'm very interested to see what can happen with twins. i know twins are great when supplied with enough fuel to light them, but i may just stick to a single depending on what a d66 can do for me or what other single turbos i can find for it. this has yet to be determined so we will see what responses i get on that.

rooster, i agree with ya completely on that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i end up having egt trouble then i will try water/meth, but only if i do have trouble. hopefully not with a big intercooler 3" intake plenums, and all that stuff to help get air in and a 4" downpipe made to fit to get air out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58