Loose oil filter?

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have their oil filter loosen up and start to leak? I change my own oil and when I cahnged the oil on my 7.3 for the first time, I hand tightened the oil filter just like I do on my cars and motorcycle. I noticed a drop of oil on the ground last week and was wondering where it was coming from but didn't have time to look at it. Yesterday, I saw a 5" diameter puddle and got under and looked. A small trail of oil was running down the side of my fliter. I thought it might be coming from above on the engine. As I wiped the filter off, I twisted it a little to make sure it was clean and the oil filter turned about 1/4 of a turn! It had loosened up! I've never had this happen on any other engine. Do you need to tighten the oil filter more than just hand tight? I got my strap wrench and turned it another 1/4 turn after it was snug by hand this time. It is almost oil change time anyway, so I wanted to ask you all about the tightening requirement.
Thanks.
:burnit

FastColts

Love My PSD!
Reaction score
Same experience with my first PSD years ago and assumed the vibration loosened the filter. Since then, and dozens of oil changes, I hand tighten and then put a little extra crank with the filter wrench... not too much to ruin the seal. No leaks since.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Yup.................I hand tighten plus a quarter turn with the wrench and still have a leak a few weeks later.

Tbar

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
TXblue said:
Anyone ever have their oil filter loosen up and start to leak?
Every single stinkin time until I learned that you should not spare the muscle when turning them on. I usually hand-tighten mine, but put some SERIOUS muscle into it, otherwise, it will vibrate loose and leak like a sieve.

I change my own oil and when I cahnged the oil on my 7.3 for the first time, I hand tightened the oil filter just like I do on my cars and motorcycle.
YOu can still hand tighten, just don't do the "turn until it hits and then another quarter turn" thing that your Dad taught you when he showed you how to change oil (at least, that's how I learned...:D ). Turn it until you cannot turn it with your hands anymore without having to stop and find something to grip it better or you are about to brain hemmorage out your nose... (within reason, of course, don't split the thing open)
I noticed a drop of oil on the ground last week and was wondering where it was coming from but didn't have time to look at it. Yesterday, I saw a 5" diameter puddle and got under and looked. A small trail of oil was running down the side of my fliter. I thought it might be coming from above on the engine. As I wiped the filter off, I twisted it a little to make sure it was clean and the oil filter turned about 1/4 of a turn! It had loosened up! I've never had this happen on any other engine. Do you need to tighten the oil filter more than just hand tight? I got my strap wrench and turned it another 1/4 turn after it was snug by hand this time. It is almost oil change time anyway, so I wanted to ask you all about the tightening requirement.
Thanks.
:burnit
It will happen ever single time unless you either wrench it down good and snug with your strap wrench, or spin it on hand tight (and by hand tight, I mean just about as far as you can go with your hands)

That seems to have worked for me. As far as taking it off, you put it on with your hands, so you should be able to take it off with your hands. But if you have a strap wrench....

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
is this it?? do all of you people use strap wrenches to get the oil filter on and off?? was kinda wanting to buy the correct band type oil filter wrench but i need to know what size to get. spanks and merry frigin christmas.

very large matco oil filter wrench for sale....

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one with a handle which adjusts the band size. I tighten it till I can go no more. First having oiled the gasket.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
is this it?? do all of you people use strap wrenches to get the oil filter on and off?? was kinda wanting to buy the correct band type oil filter wrench but i need to know what size to get. spanks and merry frigin christmas.

I have the Matco one with the interchangeable bands. I can change anything from the 8A for Ford gas V8's to Mack & Cummins highway diesel engines...

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I have the Matco one with the interchangeable bands. I can change anything from the 8A for Ford gas V8's to Mack & Cummins highway diesel engines...

cool which one is it of the four sizes for the 7.3??? on line you can buy the kit or just one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim