Lope on cold start

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks guys. Odometer says 186,000...but I figure its closer to 200,000. It didn't do it last winter....guess the wear-n-tear is getting to it. How hard is it to install the H/X line? My dad's 96 7.3 has 640,000 miles on the original injectors. It would usually "clack" on a cold start but never lope like my truck:dunno Always ran Valvoline 10-30/40. I feal better now that I know it's normal. Thanks guys;tu

The HX install is a 30 minute job, everything involved is on the top of the engine.

Remove a plug, on the L & R oil rail.. install the HX line between where the plugs came out... Done deal.

Highly recommend, IMO, for any 7.3.. Stock or Tweaked.

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
Now that ive got brand new injectors and glowplugs...mine doesnt skip a beat when i start it...

Before the injectors were replaced...it loped maybe a few revolutions, but then cleared up.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HX install is a 30 minute job, everything involved is on the top of the engine.

Remove a plug, on the L & R oil rail.. install the HX line between where the plugs came out... Done deal.

Highly recommend, IMO, for any 7.3.. Stock or Tweaked.

Joe

I'm sold... probably get it in a week or two.;tu

KCM S.S. HPX Line (99-03)

Might invest in some aftermarket injectors later next year

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Didnt know you could buy an HX line. Thought it was all custom made by a hydraulic place. Im definately gonna get one now. Thanks Tail Gunner for tellin us about it, I never would have known. I assume this does the same thing as the what is in the WIKI? The WIKI uses more hoses though but all you need is the one HX line?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Cold soaked Engine..Cold Oil ?

The GP's provide enough heat for detonation. The heads start to heat up. The oil rails are connected to the heads. The rails heat up. The Oil in the rails heats up (doesn't take much heat). The injectors now "pop", more evenly.. Like they should..Lope goes away.

Simply put but, make any sence ?

Always been my take on it anywayz.

Joe

Not To Worry.. it's the nature of a Diesel to do that: also my take on it.

x2 or so
its the nature of the beastie

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58