Loss of power

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My dad's '95 ran great when he bought it about five years ago. Now it has about 165,000 miles on it and it is powerless. I know that it has the dipstick that reads 2qts low and we have filled it full enough to correct the problem. We have put in a K&N air filter and the 3 inch down pipe. Both of these made an improvement. I scanned the computer and picked up three codes, P0470, P0236, and P0476 but it ran fine a year ago with these codes present. Compared to my 2000 it runs a lot lower boost and the needle on the gauge constantly fluters. It blows alot more black smoke then normal and it also has a little more blow by then I would like to see. Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't know of any model that has a dipstick that is off by two quarts. Maybe 1/2 quart for the early 6.0's. My 2004 is off by about 1/2 qrt. The dipstick reads low.

Dave

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you think one of the boots could be leaking or something else.

As with the dipstick that reads 2 qts. low I seen some Technical Service Bulletin. Some of the early Powerstrokes only held 13 qts. when to the full line on the dipstick, but are supposed to hold 15 qts. with filter. Also I seen a TSB where some equiped with the five speed had problems with the transmission rubbing a hole in the back of the oil pan.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
2000SuperStroker said:
My dad's '95 ran great when he bought it about five years ago. Now it has about 165,000 miles on it and it is powerless. I know that it has the dipstick that reads 2qts low and we have filled it full enough to correct the problem. We have put in a K&N air filter and the 3 inch down pipe. Both of these made an improvement. I scanned the computer and picked up three codes, P0470, P0236, and P0476 but it ran fine a year ago with these codes present. Compared to my 2000 it runs a lot lower boost and the needle on the gauge constantly fluters. It blows alot more black smoke then normal and it also has a little more blow by then I would like to see. Any ideas?

P0470 and P0476 codes defuel the engine per my talks with well known tuners.

I think P0236 is overboost, may be wrong, but if it is it also defuels.

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I knew what the codes ment but how do you find/fix the problem or test it, is what I would like to know. I will try to check lines, wires, and hoses tomorow. None of these codes ever made the CEL come on.

Thanks for the help so far!!

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
The most common cause for the 047X codes is a clogged EBPS tube or bad sensor. Do you have the EBPV gutted or disconnected?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl