loud clunk from motor when turning engine off, dash fues blowing

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
been noticing it louder than ussual. most of the time when i kill the enging there is a loud clunk as the motor stops. sometimes it is a normal quiet shutdown. any ideas? also my dash fuse keeps blowing after a day or so. i loose rmp, fuel and batt readings. didnt notice anything out of sorts under the hood...

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He says he has a HD TC. So I'm thinking flywheel loose or converter bolts loose. Could be a bad converter or trans pump.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....... or the Down Pipe hitting the firewall, or p-side heat shield... depending on >Where< the 4X4 truck gets shut down ? (frame flex)

Joe

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
automatic.

it sounds like it is up front in the motor. i had the tranny rebuildt last year. i will have it checked. it is intermittent. i remember it used to make a compression sound like woosh. it never makes that sound anymore. when it clanks it is extreemly loud.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the starter make sure the starters not come loose from the transmission housing

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
just an update... the dash gauge fuse blowing was due to the overdrive button wire rubbing on the frame at the base of the shifter. repaired the exposed wires and re routed it so it will not continue to rub when shifting.

Last edited:

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
still loud clank on shutdown. very random. cannot duplicate at will. checked for loose exhaust or anything else but cannot pinpoint it. sometimes its a light clink and sometimes its very loud. I was able to catch it on video. please advise as this has me very worried.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=RgWwBhfQFbk

Last edited:

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would almost say cracked flywheel. Seems real common.

Sent from my *******-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58