Loud injector noise

02excursion73

02excursion73
Reaction score
This past week the engine has seemed much louder. The injector noise has been very harsh sounding and at a higher pitch. The power felt down a bit also. I was traveling down a very rough road today for about 1/4 mile and after coming to a stop I smelled diesel fuel for about five seconds.
At that time I had only 1/4 tank of fuel.
Soon after that the engine sounded quieter and smoother (back to normal).
Checked for fuel leaks but none found.
The only thing that I have changed on the truck recently (last week) is an oil change (and switch) to Rotella 5W40 Synthetic from Rotella 15W40.
I have not done any fuel system mods yet.
Any ideas? :dunno

Thanks,

Brian

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
At that time I had only 1/4 tank of fuel.
Probably sucking a ton of air. Air in the fuel will make the injectors really talk. Hutch pre pump mod will probably take about 75% of the noise away. Worked great on mine.
Jim

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was going to say almost the same thing, but I was thinking about o-rings on the injectors. You are correct about air making injectors noisy.

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fuel getting by the injector orings could thin out the oil consistency but air in the fuel is a definite cause for louder injectors.

The ULSD fuel also causes our 7.3 injectors to be louder.

Butch Cassidy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My injectors were driving me crazy with the increased noise from running ULSD. Why not try the simple stuff first (IE: least expensive) as I have done - add 1 - 2 cups / tank of a centane / fuel conditioner boost. I have been using the Powerservice (grey bottle).

I have noticed that the injectors are a lot more quieter.

Hopes this helps,

Butch Cassidy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58