Loud whining kinda sound when towing?

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sometimes when I am towing something heavy up a steep grade I hear a loud whirring or whining sound, and it goes away as soon as the load decreases. Until now I've thought it was some kind of tranmission cooler or something, but since I've been towing more and more I thought I should make sure.

Does anyone know what this is?

Thanks. :dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Can you better discribe the sound ???

Tbar

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry, 2006 F250 SD PS CC FX4, 6k miles.

It's not the turbo whine, it's something else - something lower pitched, louder, and intermitant. More of a whirrr-whirrrrrrrr-whirr sound...

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is there a cooling fan of some kind that switches itself on in high load situations? If so, that's probably it.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Sure does sound like the radiator fan and boy they roar on the 6.0's when they get hot especially when in tow on grades.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No electric fans on these... electro-hydraulic operated clutch suposedly, but I haven't got my 06 hot enough to make it engage.

cdraayer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So it could be anything from a fan to the clutch?:eek: That's a pretty wide range of possibilities.

In the event it is either, is it anything to worry about? When I hear it should I let the pedal off the floor? ;)

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. I was told its a cooling fan.
Ours comes on during the summer around 100 deg when towing our trailer up steep hills. No puking so far, so it must be working

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
22 bucks its the cooling fan, mine does it towing if i am getting on it power wise, starts out kinda soft, then increases to a pretty good push and higher pitched whirr then tapers off, real smooth engagment to , it must move a chitload of air, climbing our mountain it comes on two to three times, and once while backing the rv in it came on. when i was backing up and pulling forward to many times, I really think it gets an overiding input from the tranny, because at 200-220 tranny temps, she kicks in
but of course my factory water temp gauge says "R" in the "normal" range
these fans are a superior unit to the viscous clutch ones.
very much the fan us gear sells for the 7.3

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl