Low on Transmission Fluid

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to check the ATF this afternoon and it is not even touching the end of the dipstick even when hot. Seems to be an old crud on the end of the dipstick when you pull it up out of the tube. I believe this is coming out of the fill tube. Of course can't get Mercon SP except at the dealer 35 miles away. Tranny seems to be working ok.

Should I have it:

1. flushed and filled?
  2. pan dropped and filter changed with added fluid?
  3. or just add fluid to fill it back up?

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saw where Zmann posted back in November 2009 that Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc is equivalent to Mercon SP. Has anyone used this is lieu of the MotorCraft Mercon SP in there torqshift transmission?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would just add the proper fluid and then watch it carefully. Smell the dipstick for burnt fluid. If it is burnt, flush the tranny fluid. Ford did mine for $145 a few years ago.

Dave

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, you still running the MC Mercon SP or LV or or you using and equivalent? I know back in 08 you were still looking for it in the parts houses instead of having to go to the stearlership for it.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Topped the transmission off with Valvoline.com > Products > MaxLife > Automatic Transmission Fluid MaxLife > MaxLife® DEX/MERC ATF. I called their tech service line and the tech said it was ok to use for the Mercon SP or Mercon LV. I called the Local Ford Service manager and he said it would be good to use. I've only driven it around town in stop and go traffic and so far no problems. The fluid is fully synthetic. It says recommended for use where Mercon SP or LV is specified.

I want to change the Ford Bypass Tansmission Filter. Anyone know the part number for the toilet paper roll filter?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58