Low power or is this normal

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I jumped over here from OB my 96 is stock except the mods listed which ain't much but it seems realy low on power or I'm just expecting to much the truck weighs about 8700lbs with me in it and I tow 11500 lbs I have a hard time just maintaining 55mph and the slightest hill has me dropping to 4th and loosing speed I can hit 20lbs of boost but while towing it was about 14psi and 1100 degs in 4th with my foot on the floor I have done all the maintenance solutions changed filter cleaned FPR screen changed oil no brakes are dragging runs all right no misses but I have never gotten above 12MPG either right now I'm trying it out with the MAP sensor unplugged but it don't seem to run any different then when it was plugged in I don't beleive this is normal performance with this weight but need some pointers

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

Might want to check your fuel pressure both at idle and under load. Mine was acting the same way prior to the fuel going south for good. It would sit and idle all day, but the fuel pressure would drop to nothing when it gave up. Cheers!

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been wondering it seems to take off pretty good 1st and 2nd but when running down the road you can get to 55mph but then floor it and it don't have any more go to it plus it takes a few miles off floored running to get the temps up to 1100 deg is this normal or should the temps run straight up to that I know my IDI will hit 1100 with in a couple secs but I dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome up from the basement.

your boost & EGT's sound about right for a stock truck with no programming that is breathing well. It shouldn't take a few miles of incline to get the EGT's that high. Especially with a trailer. When mine was stock I could pull a similarly loaded trailer up a slight incline and if I floorboarded it then egt's shot up to 1000 within 800-1000 feet but always had to back out due to speed as they were still slowly climbing

The fuel pump would be my first guess as well, If you have an autozone near you they sell the carter pump that is on there as OE for far cheaper than everyone else. Oh and contrary to the factory manuals you do not have to pull the turbo pedistal to remove the fuel pump. You just need a 12pt wrench of the correct size which escapes my memory right now.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks guys guess I need to make time to hook up my fuel pressure gauge and take it for a spin it has all ways seemed a little sluggish but I just thought it was the weight of the truck but here lately its a lot worst I changed the fuel pump on my buddys PSD its not bad I just have to find the time I always wondered why the EGT's took so long to get anywhere and they pretty much stop at 1100 and don't go any higher

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without a chip the egt's will stay under 1100 until you climb in altitude courtesy of factory programming & your intake & exhaust it's about 1250 with stock intake & exhaust.

Your IDI if you have it turned up will put out more power than your psd in stock trim which may be why it seems a bit sluggish to you not to mention that the IDI has more low end grunt than the PSD. Combined with your PSD having a dump bed the extra weight will take a toll.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about that and trust me I know my IDI has way more power but my brothers 97 PSD seems to have quite a bit more also more so then just the 10hp difference should make I want to add some power to it but I want to make sure everything is running right so I can get the most power available instead of just getting it to where it should be stock

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14