Low Rumbling Noise/Vaccuum Leak ?

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you fellas could help with this question or maybe I'm just being paranoid. Lately I have been hearing a low rumbling noise from inside the cab on the driver's side. I opened the hood and checked around and the noise seems to be coming from around the intercooler area on the driver's side, maybe under the air filter. Kinda sounds like a vaccuum leak. Don't really know if vaccuum leaks on diesel's sound different than on gas engines. Do vaccuum leaks on diesel engines act the same way as vaccuum leaks on gas engines? I mean, do the engine's surge, miss and stall the same way? The noise is from start-up to shut-down. A response would be appreciated. Or like I said earlier, am I just being paranoid?

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
let me help or confuse!

does the noise sound like a thump under the floor board?

has the weather gotten cooler in texas where as you need to turn on the heater and now hear noises?

does it make the 'thump' upon coming to a complete stop at a light or sign OR at start-up?

i have these occurances. went to dealer and he said it is normal...however it COULD be a vac. leak. how he told me to diagnos a leak is if the modes of the fan jump around form feet to dash to defrost OR if your shift on the fly 4 wheel doesn't engage into 4 wheel - then it is most likely a vac. leak. other than that, if those things are not happening - it is NORMAL.:eek:
it is not 'normal' it is annoying.:(

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response there Red. Actually, there aren't any thumps or any kind of noise when I turn on my heater. To me, my a/c system seems to be running fine. The 4WD engages/disengages like it's supposed to. The weather down here is wonderful. Between high 70's to the low 80's. Could be my imagination, or maybe I just never really paid close attention to the engine. But like I said before, the sound seems to be coming from the driver's side intercooler and you can hear it from start-up to shut-down. And it's more like a low rumble. Sorry about all the questions, new to diesel engines, but I sure love the way they sound.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can hear this in the cab? I was thinking that if you were outside the truck you're hearing the engine suck in air... intake is right behind the grill on the driver's side. It's kinda a hollow wuw wuw wuw wuw sound. Does this sound change with engine speed, road speed, or even at all?

Otherwise, I'd say you have something rubbing or binding someplace and as the engine runs, it's bouncing around off whatever. A vac leak should be a hiss, no matter what kind of engine it is.

JustMeandMyZ

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kleetus said:
It's kinda a hollow wuw wuw wuw wuw sound. Does this sound change with engine speed, road speed, or even at all?

That's exactly the way it sounds. It is more muffled inside the cab. I'm thinking maybe it's just the sound of the air passing through the intercooler or something like that. Just wanted to see if this was a problem that needed to be addressed or if that is just the way these engines are built. Thanks anyway for the response.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, normal... different intake setups, aftermarket that is, will change the sound of that too. I'm still stock, but others have said about acoustic changes that are pretty cool. I'm just afraid to admit more dirt into the turbo and other goodies for the sake of sound and maybe a little performance increase.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14