low sulfer/ultra low sulfer fuel

dpantazis

Reaction score
technically, they knew the forecast for ULSD in the late 80's when the injection system for the 7.3's was being engineered. they were designed to be run in ULSD.

but we have found that 7.3's are happier with a little lube.

powerservice LOWERS the fuel lubricity since its all solvents

a little lube goes a LONG way.

look int he fuel subforum for bedtime reading

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well having one of the early PSD's I can say that I'm running ULSD with no driveability problems and not adding lubrication additives on a regular basis. Occasionally I'll dump some used grease when we actually fry something at the house, which will amount to about a gallon or so per year.

My truck is an early '95 build truck. the PSD started availability in '94 in manual trans equipped trucks.

The decreased lubrication is not something that will give immediate problems it will rear it's head in the form of shorter life for fuel system components including fuel pumps and injectors. How much it shortens them nobody knows for certain. It all comes down to dollars and cents and where and how you want to put your money. Do you want to bet that longer life through lubrication additives is cheaper than replacing components a little earlier.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the new ULSD with no real issues. The worst thing is that it might cause some loss of life. However the cost of the additives won't pay for the cost of lifespan, IMO. So, is it worth it to spend $500 to save $300?

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additives will probably not cause any issue to the engine. Your wallet is a different story.

BOSCH did a way better research thing that that crap Spicer puts out. Basically, all Spicer alludes to is "Some is good, more is better".

Assume we have 520 and the desired number is 460. On page 10, we can see what the wear score will be. Translate it on page 10 and we can see that maybe you might lose 10% of your life. So say injectors are 1000 to rebuild, if you spend more than $100 on additives, you lost money.

elliotthere

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Additives will probably not cause any issue to the engine. Your wallet is a different story.

BOSCH did a way better research thing that that crap Spicer puts out. Basically, all Spicer alludes to is "Some is good, more is better".

Assume we have 520 and the desired number is 460. On page 10, we can see what the wear score will be. Translate it on page 10 and we can see that maybe you might lose 10% of your life. So say injectors are 1000 to rebuild, if you spend more than $100 on additives, you lost money.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my post,I appreciate all the good info.
One more question, does the government/EPA allow oil companies or refiners to ad lubrication additives to ultra low sulfur fuel.

Thanks Dave (elliotthere)

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everybody who responded to my post,I appreciate all the good info.
One more question, does the government/EPA allow oil companies or refiners to ad lubrication additives to ultra low sulfur fuel.

Thanks Dave (elliotthere)

I believe it is MANDATED that they add additives to it. Raw ULSD is going to tear up the parts so they mandated that the additives be added at terminal level to bring it up to the 520 HFFR score. Manufacturers, for warranty reasons, want it to be 460 but whether it makes sense to us as a consumer is a different story.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58