Low sulfur diesel

C&S

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
With the new fuel coming out, how will this affect current diesel truck owners?
Will our trucks run on the new fuel?
Will there be two kinds of fuel for sale?
Will I have to purchase a kit to convert over to the new fuel?
How will thid affect mileage and power?

I have a 2004 Powerstroke with a 6.0L.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Will there be two kinds of fuel for sale?
The ULSF is supposed to be rolled out nationwide during year 2006.
Yeap our trucks will run on it.
The ULSF will replace the standard Diesel fuel.
No kit required to run on it.
Performance wise from what I gather is engine noise increased,fuel system parts like the pump and injectors for example "may" have a shorter lifespan.
I personally feel that fuel mileage will decrease.

By running the new ULSF in our trucks some owners may use of an additive such as Lucas Fuel treatment,Power Service,Stanadyne,etc to bump up the lubricity levels,even the BioDiesel blended ULSF will be much better than ULSF alone due to lubricity properties of BioDiesel:sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
My friend's neighbor own's a dirt working co. and they've had problems with their trucks. I don't know all the vehicles but he drives an 04 6oh that's been in the shop alot lately. He said, "the new diesel is causing the problems." :confused: I didn't get much info whether it's a dealership or what problems. I told him I doubted it was the "new" diesel and suggested trying a different fuel source.:rolleyes: Who knows he may be running ruby red on the road.:dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
My supplier at work says that local fuel distributors will be responsible for replacing the lubricants lost in the ULSD process when they add their particular fuel additive packages.

Where your station gets its fuel could make a big difference in how your truck runs.

This guy predicited the valve problems that were experienced when sulfer levels were reduced from 500ppm to 15ppm in the early 90's.

Tbar

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
How can i find out if they have changed over to this "new" diesel fuel? Just curious.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fireman said:
How can i find out if they have changed over to this "new" diesel fuel? Just curious.
Depending on where you fill up at the pump itself may be labeled as ULSF Premium #2 but I'm not positive ,I'll start checking around here this week.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Tbar said:
My supplier at work says that local fuel distributors will be responsible for replacing the lubricants lost in the ULSD process when they add their particular fuel additive packages.

Where your station gets its fuel could make a big difference in how your truck runs.

This guy predicited the valve problems that were experienced when sulfer levels were reduced from 500ppm to 15ppm in the early 90's.

Tbar

That makes sense, prolly gonna be alot of suppliers skimping on the additives. Labels at pumps are the still the same here. No cetane rating and still only says Diesel Fuel....no premium diesel.

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
C&S said:
Diesel may cost a few cents more at the pump
Probably won't even be able to tell the difference. The ASTM standard for ULSD requires a lubricity additive, which brings it back up to the levels of LSD. Your pump and injectors will last just as long. The truck shouldn't be any louder. If it is, you can add more lubricity yourself by dumping a little veggie oil or biodiesel in with each tank. 1% veggie or bio will increase the lubrcity of ULSD by 35% or better.
will there be two kinds of fuel for sale?
For a short period, as the LSD is phased out, yes. If you own a 2007 or newer truck you will have to pay REALLY close attention to what fuel you put in it. Anything 2006 and older, it doesn't matter what you put in.
Nope. Just plug and play, like always
There are some guesses rolling around that since the ULSD is a "lighter" fuel, it may have a little less potential energy than LSD. This would logically result in a reduction in fuel economy. However, the reduction in potential energy is along the same lines as the difference between #2 and biodiesel, and I have only heard of people getting BETTER mileage with biodiesel (even though it has less potential energy) so my guess is that most claims of mileage will be placebo effect, since the difference should be so slight as to not even notice. Power wise, you should also notice no difference.

I have a 2004 Powerstroke with a 6.0L.
Ahhh, then this is good news for you! My guess is ULSD will solve a lot of the EGR clogging problems that seem prevalent in the 6-oh. We'll have to wait and see...

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
The ASTM standard for ULSD requires a lubricity additive, which brings it back up to the levels of LSD.

While this may be true the refineries have no responsiblity for the ASTM standard. This lies with the fuel distribution companies........or so I am told.

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14