Low Voltage

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just indivually charged both batts. with external charger. Cranks with good speed but it takes about 2-3 seconds for it to fire off. GP's seem to be firing ok but I haven't but an ohm meter on it yet. Dash gauge indicates very low after initial start up (below the N in "normal" on the gauge). While at idle the needle hangs about straight down with no load other than stock radio. At nite, needle reads between "N" and "O" with low beam headlight and low speed AC blower running. Hardly any difference with the blower off or without the lights. Reads more towards positive at around "R" or "M" with the engine revving around 1500-2000.

Alt. new about a year ago I think (have to check the records). Terminals are clean and tight. Cables are in good shape as well.

Any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The only way to tell is to use a volt ohm meter. Get a cheap one at Radio Shack and test it. The alt will not come on line immediately after starting and that is normal. It takes about a minute or two, so don't panic. Good Luck.

Dave

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize that the alt. doesn't come online for a while after the initial start. That's not my question. The problem is, that the gauge reads n the negative range at idle and only comes up to about mid range when RPM's get to around 1500+. Sorry for any confusion in my initial post.

According to my battery charger that has an alternator test function, it test good.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the system checked by mechanic shop last June. They replaced one batt. at that time.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Youve gotta replace the batts in tandem, if one of your batts is weak (Old) it will soon kill the new batt.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The best way to test the batteries is to leave your doors open/interior lights on for a afternoon, then try to start it. Mine would start and hold enough of a charge to start again, but if I left my doors open it would kill the batteries in a few hours, even with the 2 batteries. If I would put a charge on it, they would last for a month and then I would have to re-charge them. I also had mine tested last year and replaced the alt. and again this year. I think because the alt. tried to keep the batt's charged.

Brad B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. The best way to test the batteries is to leave your doors open/interior lights on for a afternoon, then try to start it. Mine would start and hold enough of a charge to start again, but if I left my doors open it would kill the batteries in a few hours, even with the 2 batteries. If I would put a charge on it, they would last for a month and then I would have to re-charge them. I also had mine tested last year and replaced the alt. and again this year. I think because the alt. tried to keep the batt's charged.

That may be the ticket. While I had one batt. disconnected and charging, I played the radio and it only lasted about 2-3 hours and it completely killed the battery. Not even enough left in it to light up the clock.
Guess I'll go get two new batteries !! Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14