Lucky to be alive

kbud14

I will never learn
Reaction score
We are running corn right now and I am trucking it, unloading into a PTO driven auger, into the bin. I am going from watching the truck to turning around and watching the bin, as the bin was almost full. A few years back the shaft from the gearbox on the auger broke and had to be coupled together with a pipe and bolts. As a result the shield was removed and never replaced. As I turn around, i catch my glove on the spinning bolt. My sweatshirt sleeve catches and sucks me down to my armpit before my sleeve lets loose. As I shut the tractor off, I try to gather myself and inspect the seriousness of my injuries. My arm is covered in road rash and part of my stomach as well. No broken bones, wrists or elbows, thank God. I can not get over how lucky I am to be alive, let alone still have my arm with just scrapes. I am one of the most anal people about farm safety and I had a close call. Its easy to loose track when you are in a hurry and not thinking.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sometimes forget to put safety first. This was a close call for you or maybe a wake up call. I hope the safety shield has been replaced by now.
Glad you are OK and nothing broke or missing.
Be Safe out there.:thumbs

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
You are very....very lucky!!! I think it only takes 2-3 seconds to get your whole body wrapped around the pto shaft.

I don't need to describe what happens then.

Tbar

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
NO GOOD. a nurse told me that equipment/machinery is the prevailing cause of injuries in hospitals.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Glad your o.k., kbud. Many moons ago my best friend was on the fender of his B model Mack, leaning against the compressor and trying to figure out an A/F leak. He slips and his right hand went into the belts, removing the last digits of his pointer and middle finger. :doh: The tips were still in the glove he had on, but couldn't be re-attached. All the way to the hospital he keeps telling me how stupid he is, and I didn't argue with him. Myself and another driver told him to shut the damn thing down before he started rooting around in the engine bay. The sad part is this stuff happens all the time, and its 99% avoidable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl