lug nuts

madman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found a great deal on a set of aftermarket 20" wheels with 35/12.5/20 toyo mt's off of an 08' superduty(less than 5000 miles on them). Question #1, can I run these on my truck without a leveling kit for a little while? Question #2, will I need new lug nuts to install them? I am headed to the dunes tomorrow and will be picking these tires/wheels up tonight and would like to put them on before I head out in the morning. If I need lug nuts I will have to pick them up sometime this afternoon so I really need to know now. My truck is an 06' f-350,psd, sc,4x4, fx4 all stock (so far).

madman

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think that those 35's are going to fit on a stock truck and you are going to need a taper shaft lug nut

madman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I dont mind a little rub, just until my leveling kit comes in. I thought all superdutys used flat type nuts but I'm not sure if the outside diameter needs to be smaller for the aftermarket wheels or not. Also I'm not sure what you mean by tapered nuts, all I've seen are flat and acorn types but with different outside diameters to fit into deep holes on mags.

madman

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I don't think that those 35's are going to fit on a stock truck and you are going to need a taper shaft lug nut

I don't know about the rims, but the truck uses hub centric wheels. They are not centered with the conical lug nuts. They have washers on the lug nuts and are centered using the shoulder on the hub.

Dave

roger2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that Madman was mounting those 37's on aftermarket rims with most use the aftermarket lugs that have a tapered end that fits into a tapered hole on the rim.

madman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
OK, I figured it out. Had to use acorn lug nuts (luckily I had some laying around) the wheels are 20x9 with 35/12.5/20 toyo m/t's. Picked them up friday evening and put them on at home saturday morning. The only place that the tires rubbed was at the plastic inner fender liner behind the front tire. I cured the problem by pulling the liner back with a s/s zip tie just a bit and now no rub at all even with the tire at full lock and stuffed into the fender.(I used a floor jack to raise the tire into the wheelwell simulating full articulation). So no leveling kit for me (at least for now).

madman

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your studs. There have been horror stories about guys breaking their studs off and the entire wheel and tire departing the truck.

I ran aftermarket wheels for a summer but was scared every time I hauled a heavy load. Ford used the hub centric wheels for a reason on these trucks.

On the other hand, I know guys that have ran aftermarket wheels and hauled some pretty substantial loads since the day the truck was purchased. My neighbor has had aftermarket wheels and 37's since 2003 and he hauls a big toyhauler fifth wheel almost every weekend. :dunno

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
It's my understanding that ford switched to hub centric wheels because it was easier to get the wheel to "center" when installing it, not because the acorn style lugs were weak, they were just trying to find a way to eliminate every bit of vibration from their trucks, for that smooth ride, a tougher job with a solid front axle instead of independant suspension like their competition. Both lug styles are equally strong, but one requires more attention to detail to get the wheel perfectly centered so it does'nt vibrate

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg