Article Major Industries Shutting Down in Japan

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Hopefully the North American factories will increase production to take care of the share of market that could be lost.

That would be nice,

BUT--

The fact is that there are so, so many things that just are not made in this country at all any more. I don't think there has been a single TV made in the USA for over 20 years. Even if a particular product is built in the USA, it could very likely be assembled with parts made in Japan.

The unavoidable reality is, we are going to experience shortages and increased prices of many items. There is one particular possible exception to that: oil. Japan was one of the larger consumers of items like gas, diesel and liquid propane. But that consumer market has just been decimated. Since oil demand has just decreased, the effect may be to hold down the rising price of oil.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I know we get some of our motorcycles shipped from japan (Kawasaki bikes) The only thing that is made over there that we get. Everything else we get is made in Lincoln NE.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been into this whole "Made in the USA" thing since I was 13 (yea...what does a 13yr old care about economy...right???). My dad was the Alabama rep. for an organazation called SAM Now (Save American Manufacturing). When fuel prices started to sky rocket about 3yrs ago, my dad noticed industries starting to come back. How do products from the ports make it to the store? What happens when the price it takes to get it to the store increases? It becomes not worth it. Which in turns makes "American Made" just as competitve.

My background is the industrial apparell maufacuring. I'm a 3rd generation sewing mechanic. My dad and his dad had done it all their life. When NAFTA got signed, it was all down hill from their. I've been to several auctions of large maufacurers that have closed down and gone over seas. Last plant closing I was involved in was, my dad bought a Levis factory up in North Carolina (same time fuel prices were rising). This was the last Levi factory left in the U.S. We ran a liquidation of the equipment out of there for 9 months. Surprisingly, 95% of the equipment was sold stayed in the U.S.

As far as the industry from Japan, whatever is lost I believe China will absorb. They set their own currency...it doesn't fluctuate with the rest of the world.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
The factory that makes my favorite amateur radio gear is near the damaged nuclear power plant. Makes me wonder if there will be shortages of Yaesu amateur gear in the months and years to come.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58