Major problems 6 days after BB install

big ragu

Carmyne the big ragu
Reaction score
I do not undrestand what I overlooked, or what component failed These last couple of days testing the BB turbo, I never exceeded 17 psi boost, used no water spray, and looking back at the install, I torqued all fasteners to FSM specs and used all new O rings on pedestal and turbo to pedestal. I replaced my stock pedestal to the nonebv style and installed the HX high pressure crossover line(while I was there) and triple checked all my fasteners. Oil was all over my engine compartment and the insulation lining under the hood, and it was pouring out under the truck, right at the top of the bell housing. After I turned the engine off, I checked my oil, and saw that I was right at the fill line, which I believe is 2 qts. low. I had it towed home, cleaned out the engine w/ degreaser, and proceeded to R&R the turbo, but I decided to stop after I got to the intake hose and check with you all to see what advise you can help me out with. I love the turbo, but am worried that this is something that may happen again, or worse?? I hope not worse already!! Please advise! Carmyne

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
...and installed the HX high pressure crossover line(while I was there)...

My general rule of thumb is to do one thing at a time, check it out & make sure it's working OK and then ad the next thing. I'd uninstall the H/X line, put the plugs back in the head. And then run it again to see if it is still pissing oil all over.

I had to try the H/X mod about four times before I found a line that lasted beyond 6 months. Lesson learned, I don't like hoses, solid steel lines are the way to go.

On edit: It is possible that one of the o-rings below the pedestal or below the turbo are bad. Those buggers are really bad for getting dislodged as you are dropping the turbo into place. You get them placed on assembly, but as you are leaning into the engine compartment with that not very light turbo and try to get it located on top of the pedestal, it is very easy to bump an o-ring out of position or pinch the edge of it.

Last edited:

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
What BB turbo do you have, the "ball buster" or the Garrett GTP38R "ball bearing" turbo?

If it's the GTP38R check to make sure the oil plug on top of the center cartridge is tight, mine was loose and leaked oil.

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
I second the motion, on checking the the oil plug on the turbo!

Don't over look the HX lines. Make sure they are tight and the o rings are seated properly on the connectors.

big ragu

Carmyne the big ragu
Reaction score
I second the motion, on checking the the oil plug on the turbo!

Don't over look the HX lines. Make sure they are tight and the o rings are seated properly on the connectors.
Well, everyone, it turned out to be the High presure HX crossover line. It had an obvious torn to shreds O ring and why it lasted almost 6 days is a wonder...I'm starting to wonder if the line tends to wiggle around at moments of WOT.
I am now, after attempting the HX 2x now, convinced that this is a POS mod. I never experienced the promises that the advertisements claimed, and now I understand what happened to that awsome looking '96 PSD that was at my local High perf diesel shop parking lot. The owner of the shop showed me the engine compartment that burnt to shreds, and it really was obvious by the looks of the hood on top. He told me that the owner put this oil crossover line he bought thru the internet and it blew, throwing oil all over hot exhaust. Ka boom!! This could have easily been me. Sad, too, because this truck was a looker and made high HP.

Lessons learned: You all rock, while HX mods suck!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58