Making Smoke

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To start off, I know that gobs of black smoke is wasteful, gives diesels a bad rap, and possibly harmful to the engine. I don't often do this, but I like to pull up beside cars with fart cannons on them and give them some diesel smoke to choke on.
So onto my question, is it posible to fool the ecu into seeing the 25 psi of boost or whatever the max is before the engine goes into defuel mode, without actually making that much boost? My guess on how to do this is to alter the signal seen by the ecu from the map sensor. If so what does it take to do this? I seen one person that did it to their common rail cummins and it would fog the streets endlessly. I know what over fueling does to diesel engines, I just wanted some input on how to do this.

JRJ04

Reaction score
you actually dont want boost, so getting a boost fooler would not help you. my advice would be to get a different tuner. superchips are outdated and dont give you that great of power delivery. call jody at dp tuner and you'll never look back! ive got the 80hp econo tune and a 120hp race tune. the 80 will smoke some, but the 120 will roll it out pretty good on demand.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want smoke call a tuner and get a custom chip with a smoke setting. The chips can be programmed to smoke just off idle.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Making smoke is due to over fueling. Fuel makes diesels go faster. This is like flooring it and the engine can't use all of the fuel to make power, so smoke is the result. It is not good, other than to smoke a ricer. You can't always make smoke, only under hard acceleration.

Dave

2000SuperStroker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am waiting to get a DP tuner until I put in new single shot injectors and a dual hpop system. I was just thinking of something to temporary to make it smoke off of an idle until I am able to upgrade injectors and oil pumps. I know of guys that put a resistor on the signal side of boost sensor on C15 cat engines in trucks to give the engine fuel faster instead of waiting for the boost to build up. Which I know is probally illegal and would void any warranty. I just thought it might be possible to do something similar on a pickup. It wouldn't be to gain any horsepower really just make smoke.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl