makuloco2000, I have a strange wiring problem

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I noticed my taillights were not working. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and turned on the headlights and the fuse blow again. I started to look for raw wire or a cut wire in the taillight circuit and I found nothing. I unhooked a rear light bar I had plugged into the 4 wire trailer light plug. The fuse blew again. I replaced it and removed all wiring that was not from the factory ( I had a wire or two but nothing hooked into the taillights ). Today I removed the drivers battery and the battery box and air cleaner. I looked at the wires going from firewall going along the left side fender. I found nothing that was cut, worn or raw wires. I am still blowing the 15 amp taillight fuse and therefore not driving the truck at night. Any ideas anybody???

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fer starters ??

Take that 4 pin trailer plug apart and clean it up REAL good. Same with the 7 pin if equipped ? And the gang plug where all the OEM rear lighting/towing harnesses plug into the frame rail mounted wire feed (front to rear) terminates.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I looked at the trailer plugs and I found nothing but a bunch of dust. Then it came to me; I had the front right fender replaced 4 or 5 months ago. I will bet the body shop scuffed or pinched a wire. I will look more carefully in a few days when it cools down. I can't work on the truck when it is over 100 degrees.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Dave.... 102 here today.. got all my " outside stuff" done before noon. Inside in the A/C during the 102 stuff.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I do the AC when it gets hot also. The electrical bill goes way up during the summer, but better than sweating...

Dave :)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hey, just FYI, Sears sells swamp coolers for less than a couple hundred bucks..

If the PDC is on the right hand side on the 6 Leakers, you mught be on the right track.
Otherwise, I'd do a voltage drop test across the headlight switch.

You might even want to rig up a short finder with a 10amp circuit breaker and an inductive pickup on a voltmeter..
Plug the breaker into the fuse block and run down the wiring with the inductive clamp until you lose your voltage signal.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58