manual hubs or electric

choupique108

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
how do i tell if i have manual hubs or the vaccum hubs that work off the switch automatically? i have the switch on the dash but when i lock it in 4x4 it does not do anything but when i manually lock the hubs it feels like it will pull the world. Whats the sure fire way to tell if they are electric or not. Im going to wisconsin in a month and this coonass has never driven on snow or ice and id like it on the fly.

dpantazis

Reaction score
the switch actuates an electronic solenoid valve that applies vacuum to the hubs.
the switch is on the passenger side wheel wheel under the hood.
chances are the rubber hoses from the hardline to the hub are cracked and leaking.

don't worry about the snow and ice up north- you've survived gators and snakes and skeeters. all you need to worry about are the bears and the skeeters.

choupique108

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
idk how to tell by looking but i have 3 lines coming from the inside of the wheel. i know one is a brake like but i have no clue what the other two are

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you said, one is brake line
Next is ABS sensor
Last would be ESOF line

choupique108

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok fellas thanks. im gonna climb under there and check it out. If i change the hoses and that dont fix it what else could it be?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad hubs. The auto hubs of ford are known to go bad. Mine would lock in but would not unlock. I finally gave up and bought Warn hubs. Yes, I have to get out and lock them now, but at least they unlock when I want them too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14