manual or auto for towing

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i know all about the synchro problem,mine are shot now,i have to shift like a turtle or it will grind,and i can hardly downshift .im not sure what the better route is, gett a rebuilt tranny , or have the syncros replaced.im pretty sure i can buy a rebuilt cheaper then having this one fixed.anyone got any places i can get one at a good price.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i wouldnt want to tow with a stock auto, but mine is mildly built, and i tow a lot with it. i wouldnt mind having the standard for MY stupid heavy loads, but my wife drives it towing horses a lot, and just an observation i have made is that the horses load onto her trailer happily, wich is a sign that they are having a good "stress free" ride with her. on the other hand they dont enjoy another ladies ride and the only major difference is hers is manual. i know there are a million other variables that could cause this and i could be way off in my thinking. personally, i choose auto, for work or play. i love it.

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well i have had both. i personally think both are decent but with my stick that i have now it seeems to be alot easier on the truck. with my auto at the end of the day you could hear all the fans..kicking in. but i just like being able to shift gears just fun to me. but i do like the stick better for towing .02

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all depends on the year...the 5r110 <in stock form> is a great
tow-er

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14