Manual Transmission Gauge

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have a tranny temp gauge, sender and weld-in threaded bung for the sender. I am going to install it in the PTO plate on my manual transmission. I seem to recall a long time ago seeing an article on just where to put the sending unit. I seem to recall something about mounting it low enough to get it in the oil but to avoid hitting any gears with the sending unit. Anyone know exactly where to weld in the bung or know where I saw the writeup? I did a quick search at TDS but they archived all the recent stuff but they made it unsearchable..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
I have a tranny temp gauge, sender and weld-in threaded bung for the sender. I am going to install it in the PTO plate on my manual transmission. I seem to recall a long time ago seeing an article on just where to put the sending unit. I seem to recall something about mounting it low enough to get it in the oil but to avoid hitting any gears with the sending unit. Anyone know exactly where to weld in the bung or know where I saw the writeup? I did a quick search at TDS but they archived all the recent stuff but they made it unsearchable..

Hi Crumm, I installed my Temp sensor in place of the fill plug, on my 6 speed. The gears "Sling" enough fluid on/at it to get an acurate reading. Saves welding or tap'n/thread'n any trany housings/parts.

:dunno

JOE

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
You think you are getting an accurate reading? The way I understand it the sender needs to be submerged.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crumm said:
You think you are getting an accurate reading? The way I understand it the sender needs to be submerged.

Temperature senders do need to be in the fluid for accurate readings. Just for information, I have one of the Fabcraft Metalworks billet PTO covers and the hole for the temp sender is located 1.25 inches from the bottom cover bolt hole (center-to-center). Hope that helps! Cheers!

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Patrick Feeley said:
the hole for the temp sender is located 1.25 inches from the bottom cover bolt hole (center-to-center). Hope that helps! Cheers!
Just what I needed to know. Thanks :sweet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58