many questions, power loss, oil leaks...

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sup fellas,

on friday, it was about 15 degrees in ATL, and started the truck at about 5 am with almost no trouble. drove it for about 20 minutes, and shut it down until 9 am. at 9, it didn't start on the first try. second try it fired up, but was missing pretty bad. settled down and ran fine in a few seconds. same 20 minute drive and shut down. started it again at about 2:30pm, started on the first try, but missing again. quit missing after a few seconds and drove fine. drove to snag a tasty burrito at chipotle.

after about an hour, i fired it up and it was missing for a long time. the first few times i figured it was because the engine was cold+cold weather, but this time it was still warm from the drive there. It missed for a while and basically ran like ****, to the point where i was limping it home. i'm taking back roads to avoid the interstate, and get on I-75 for a 1/2 mile hop to my exit, and it dies on the damn interstate.

now, i the fuel light was on, and i knew i needed fuel, but my fuel gauge is intermittent inop and i usually go by the mileage. i knew i was low on fuel, but didn't think i was that close. I was out of ideas, so i walked to the station and bought a 2 gallon can, filled up the truck, and it fired up after about 6 tries. ran like total ****, but eventually settled down. got it to the gas station, and all said, i filled 27.5 gallons. i've been keeping pretty accurate fuel records since i purchased the truck, and my largest fill was in july coming in at 31 gallons. wtf gives? this makes no sense. any ideas?

since then, its slowly been running better and better, which i've read to expect after running a psd out of fuel. my only question now, when raising the rpm slowly to about 1900 rpm, i'm getting a rushing sound from under the hood, sounds a lot like a high pressure air leak/jet engine type sound. it takes a lot of pedal to raise the rpm more once this starts. if you raise the rpm quickly it will not do this. this was with the enigne warm. (in neutral)

i've found a bit of oil in my valley by the hpop, but i think its a slow leak. not seeing any massive loss of oil, so i dont think its related.

so, did i just plain run out of fuel? and some pump back in july ripped me off? its running well enough that this is what im' beginning to expect.

its a '02 psd, manual tranny.

tia,
Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58